Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for my own info, how many caps have had to be changed to pass emission test?

·
Registered
312 Posts
We thought that was the cause of the problem on my sister's Bullitt (4448), as the light kept coming on and the trouble code kept popping. I can clear the code in my sleep.

Well, she got a new cap, but the light keeps triggering.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How high tech. can a gas cap get!?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How high tech. can a gas cap get! Is there a micro chip in it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
yep, mine didn't pass when I went for my e-test

have a buddy who does the e-tests and failing gas caps seems to be
the rule rather than the exception on most cars according to him.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah my check engine light came back on yesterday. Its the dreaded P0442 code again. I havent't noticed any driveability issues but I will probably replace the gas cap and see if the code comes back on. I have already checked underneath the car while it was up on the lift and didn't notice any cuts or holes in the hoses. If replacing the gas cap doesn't work I have heard about getting a smoke test done. Does anybody have any information on this? Also, anybody else have any luck with finding the source of their problems?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Back from the dead with this post but I got the P0442 in 03558. Took it to the shop for a smoke test as replacing the gas cap didn't get rid of the code.

Root of my problem is the gas filler neck and grommet into gas tank. Getting it fixed up now with Ford original parts. Sad thing is that the car only has 20,000 miles on it so most likely the gasket cracked from being dry. At least that's my thought.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Back from the dead with this post but I got the P0442 in 03558. Took it to the shop for a smoke test as replacing the gas cap didn't get rid of the code.

Root of my problem is the gas filler neck and grommet into gas tank. Getting it fixed up now with Ford original parts. Sad thing is that the car only has 20,000 miles on it so most likely the gasket cracked from being dry. At least that's my thought.
I had exactly the same issue on my '01 last year. Replaced the filler neck and grommet and it solved the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts