Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very cool, but he should of got the 08 with the shaker. Oh well, at least he got the Bullitt. It's so cool....

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
He could have been describing my "Bullitt-Quest"...I had my eye on an '08, it too was on Havill-Spoerls lot for 8-9 months...it got gone about the time I had convinced Sgt-Maj-Mom that we needed a Bullitt. I settled for an '09 too and also passed up the several '08's with Shaker 1000's. I went for the minimalist Bullitt too...and I'm also in Wisconsin! I'm hoping to see if Mr. Egan is out cruising The Land of Cow-Chips and Beer Farts in his '09 Bullitt....can just imagine the talk over a cuppa joe or a beer. Hey Peter, fell like double teaming for a road cruise?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Very good story/article. Thanks for posting. Peter's "Side Glances" is one of a very few reasons that I like the rag he writes for. My Bullitt was an indulgence that I took on the same, Life is Too Short, bases. But then, he and I are of the same generation... ;-)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
makemann said:
He has always been one of my favorite automotive writers. Now he's my favorite!
Me to, but just switched to CAR & DRIVER, DAMN didn't get AUG issue.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wabirch said:
Obofglob
Had not read this, wished it would have gone on a few more paragraphs. Wonder if he's on the site and registered. Thanks for the post.
He first mentions taking a Bullitt for a test drive in this article

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article_id=7310

You folks already know you have a great car. IMHO it's also nice that a guy who gets to drive a lot of different cars chose to buy a Bullitt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Peter Eagn is one of the top automotive journalists of our times. His creativity and insight have given him a career longer than most of us have had drivng licenses. :cool:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Egan is a poet & IMO, the only thing worth reading in R&T. He also does a monthly column in Cycle World that is excellently written, my favortie part of the mag.
Lee

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Egan is an excellent writer, and his sense of humor is what kept me an R&T reader for many years. One of my favorite quotes from him, at least I attribute it to him, was when he referred to an old Ferrari or Lotus' heater:

"it produced the heat of a hamster blowing through a straw."

:)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Heh, I found this part something I've been considering:
The interior, with an engine-turned dash surface, also featured "Bullitt" logos on the steering wheel and doorsills. I admit to being a McQueen fan, but — for my extremely mature tastes — they could have left this stuff off. It seemed a little odd, like buying a Colt single-action .45 with "The Lone Ranger" on the handgrips.
I'd be able to keep the original parts and stick out even less.

Than I think, "Nah. It's fine as it is."

·
Registered
272 Posts
That was great! A man that knows a great car when he see one! Thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I always really liked Peter Egan, too. Until I found out he plagarized a piece from a friend of mine.

Still couldn't resist reading his Bullitt article, though.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nice read....Thanks for posting.....I had a chance to subscribed to Road and Track for some low price of 9.00 dollars last month....I throw stuff like that in a pile and go thru it when the pile gets too big.....The offered expired on July 3....I found it on July 4th......Go figure..........

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I admit to being a McQueen fan, but — for my extremely mature tastes — they could have left this stuff off. It seemed a little odd, like buying a Colt single-action .45 with "The Lone Ranger" on the handgrips.

This part I do not agree with. Any "Bullitt" designation is minimal and there is no "Steve McQueen" designation anywhere on the car. True, the 08 version of the Bullitt was made to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the movie "Bullitt" and Steve McQueen was the star of the movie, but the 08 Bullitt replicates the car in the movie and not the man. And Ford had to name this model something, so it was named after what the car in the movie had been known as for years, the "Bullitt car". I would have preferred for Ford to have removed all the ponies - the minimal "Bullitt" designation does not concern me the least bit. But I'm glad that he liked the car enough to have bought one.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Thanks for posting! What a great article! :) :) :)

I was grabbed by a similar "Gotta have it" feeling when I saw the Bullitt for the first time at the NY Auto Show. It was already late in the model year, so finding one equipped the way I wanted it (nothing but the basics... and definitely no "turtle" on the trunk) wasn't easy. But thanks to eBay I found one at a dealer... in Kentucky. :eek:

It's amazing what some of us go through to get the things we love! :lol:

:cool:

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was a great article, thanks for sharing it.

On an intersting note I bought my Bullitt on March 3rd and it was shipped from WI to MN on March 5th. I wonder if I got the car he had his eye on?

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi MNRider,

I lusted after that same car for 13 months! I would stop and look at it at least once a week; I wanted that car so badly! I sat in it several times and took it for a test drive last September; it had 67 miles on it. The dealer had it marked down to $24,995 (after rebates) before it finally sold early this year. The car was a basic 2008 Bullitt with no extra options. I think the Bullitt number was 35xx?

Thanks,
Paul

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts