Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Fake Bullitts

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  TXBullitt 
#1 ·
I have been a bit dismayed reading about all of these Bullitt parts that are available, and people who are considering altering their cars to look like them. This is tacky, if you want a Bullitt, buy one, otherwise enjoy your Mustang for what it is. I suppose just putting on the gas cap, gear shift, or rims is acceptable, since those items are rather generic, but if anyone puts on the 'Bullitt' insignia or alters the body, that is just cheesy. It is like those ricers who stick a VTEC or SiR sticker on anything that moves. If anyone sees one of these, take a picture. Maybe I am overreacting, but I am just dreading this wave of V-6 Laser Red 'Bullitts' zipping down the highway. If it gets too bad I'll start a webpage to embarrass these fakers, like on www.riceboypage.com.

#5 ·
In the lastest copy of Mustang Times Art Hyde is Quoted as saying that not only is there the serialized sticker on the left hand shock tower but also there is another mark that will remain a mystery so later we'll be able to tell the real bullitt from a copy cat

#6 ·
There is a post on Blue Oval News (and maybe on here somewhere, I forget). Someone found the tag near the radiator and took a picture of it. I am not concerned about someone trying to pass a Bullitt off as fake to a seller, you would have to spend a fortune to fool anyone who knew anything about the car, it is just a matter of principle. Some people will try to fake it. Of course then we can all point and laugh. :wink:

#7 ·
last sunday i saw a kid with a 2000 Laser Red V-6 Mustang and a BIG coffee can pipe coming out of 1 side of the rear. had little tiny(14") wheels that hung way INSIDE the wheel wells and VERY low profile tires. big stickers on front AND back windows.
i wanted to throw up THEN drag him out of the car and smack him one for the insult!!!

#8 ·
I was shocked to see my first fake Bullitt. Like they say imatation is the most sincere form of a compliment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG #1302 on 2001-06-06 16:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG #1302 on 2001-06-06 16:26 ]</font>

#10 ·
Glad to see ya made it over Lok n Lod! I read a similar article where Art Hyde told about the second sticker/ID on the real BULLITTs because he said in twenty years there will be three times as many "bullitts" running around. That's the good thing about my job, if I do come across an imitation (esprcially a V6) I can pull them over for some reason and give them an earfull! Unfortunately I can't site them. Oh well!!!
Cam

#12 ·
I've noticed all kinds of "Genuine Ford" Bullitt pieces out there on ebay. It makes you wonder just who from Ford is letting these parts slip out the back door in such copius numbers. Of course, if you see a GT with a spoiler, fog lamps and any color other than DHG, True Blue or Black, it will be our obligation to pull up next to them and cry "FAKE"!

#13 ·
I've actually been buying some Bullitt stuff off Ebay, but obviously not to make a fake. I keep having this nightmare where some bonehead smashes into the side of my DHG #933 and takes out the fuel door, scoop, and door sill plate in one fell swoop. Then I go to get it fixed and those parts are either non-existent or cost more than my house (this nightmare takes place several years from now).

As a 1970 Plymouth GTX owner, I know what it's like when a rare part gets damaged. So I'm doing a pre-emptive strike and buying up the unique Bullitt pieces right now at dealer cost prices. I've already go the fuel door and shifter, and I'm high bidder on a set of door sill plates. They all go into a well padded, well protected box that I hopefully never need to access (I really worry about that fuel door since any slimbag wtih a hex wrench could take it!).

If twenty years from now I still have all the parts, maybe I can help out some other Bullitt owner who is living his real life nightmare.

#14 ·
Sounds like a decent idea. What did the parts cost you, if I may ask?

#16 ·
I sort of got raped on the shifter, as it was the first piece I bought (had it before I had the car!!). The shifter cost me around $90 with shipping, but the fuel door was only about $70 with shipping. Now I'm starting to get a feel for what a good price is. For instance, the rear "BULLITT" emblem should cost around $20 plus shipping. The door sill plates should cost around $75 plus shipping.

Hope this helps if you are searching for your own "backup" Bullitt parts.

#17 ·
Hang on to your Window Stickers and Build Sheets too. They both have the car's VIN and identify it as a Bullitt. I've got copies of mine in my Kleenex holder cum Document storage device.

We'll see who is genuine and who's fake down the road.

DHG No. 738

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.