Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Falklands conflict, which began 25 years ago today, helped to define the then Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher's time in office. The isolated and sparsely-populated Falkland Islands, a British overseas territory in the south-west Atlantic Ocean, remain the subject of a sovereignty dispute between Britain and Argentina, who waged a brief but bitter war over the territory in 1982.

I can't belive it was 25 years ago as a young Engineering Draughtsman, I sat in my office talking about the build up to a war so far from home. Most of us had never heard of the Falklands before Argentina went on a war footing and invaded the isles.
We watched small, almost redundant engineering companies on the brink of closing, suddenly spring back to life and start making helicopter landing pads and gun mounts, to be fitted to merchant
ships which had been called to action in the South Atlantic to suppliment the Royal Navy and transpot
8,000 troops to the area.
At home my brother had his head shaved in the hope of being called up to action. He was just out of the second betallion the Parachute regiment (2 para) and this was to become the Para's war, and one that he missed. Most of my friends wanted to go with him, myself included.

I just wanted to share my observations from the time but sadly Over 900 people died during the 74-day war,
including 255 British servicemen, 655 Argentines and three islanders. <!-- E SF -->
Argentina's invasion, on 2 April 1982, followed friction between the two countries dating back to 1833, when Britain claimed the islands in the south Atlantic.
Argentine forces surrendered on June 14, 1982.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts