Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I setup a digital temp sensor on the radiator to check the electric fan cut-on temp. It is 220F. If you get a chip made,maybe 195-200 F would be optimum.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you lower the operation temp. of the engine it will most likely help with the performance but in turn it will affect the emission system and your gas mileage.Cooler the engine faster it wears out, you can put 180 thermostat and use it for just racing but for everyday driving it should be 190 thermostat. I just keep mine stock.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-28 18:57, byronyamada wrote:
If you lower the operation temp. of the engine it will most likely help with the performance but in turn it will affect the emission system and your gas mileage.Cooler the engine faster it wears out, you can put 180 thermostat and use it for just racing but for everyday driving it should be 190 thermostat. I just keep mine stock.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard the cooler temperture will where out the engine quicker thing before. I had an 87 LX 5.0 that went 256,000 miles before it grenaded. The timing chain broke, rapped itself up on the crankshaft, and broke the crank. But when we tore the engine down it still had the cross hatch on the cylinder walls and overall was in very good shape (pistons, rings, bearings). You would look at this thing and you wouldn't have a clue at the mileage. It had a 160 thermostat since about 40,000 and ran like an ice cube.

And I literally beat the **** out of it for 7 years. If you ask anyone around my group of friends who was the roughest on a car (racing wise), they would all answer Keith (01GTB).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-28 20:48 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-28 20:48 ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts