Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could almost be a poll, but then we would miss the explanations.

Years ago I had a Datsun 280Z. This car had an interesting characteristic to the fuel injection programming in that it "kicked it up a notch" at about 3200 RPM and/or 2/3 throttle. This all made 3rd gear a lot of fun as you rolled into the gas and got an extra kick when you hit these notches at the same time.

On the Bullitt, I think my favorite is 2nd gear. You can start out from a rolling stop in it, you get a good SOTP push, and it will take you right up to the speed limit on anything but the freeway. What a rush :-B

What is your favorite gear?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Easy one for me, Crusing the highway at around 65-70 (Kind of slow around here in some parts) and baiting a ricer to come along side. Looks the Bullitt over, can't figure out what the hell it is. He stomps on the gas and you hear his engine get louder, course he really doesn't go anywhere.
I Drop it into third and run it to around 100 before shifting into 4th. Coaast back down to around 80, Look around for the rice and hes way back there. Wait about a minute and he comes flying by at about 85 and the tin can is doing about 160, well thats how it sounds.
Yes, I vote for third gear!! That reminds me I was going to video tape and post just that from a second car.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Love second, but I gotta log another vote for 3rd. NOTHING sounds like 3rd gear WOT from 60mph - redline, and although it doesn't quite pull you like second, it's a great feeling nonetheless. :grin:

Joe

·
Registered
721 Posts
Second. When shifting into two, I take it to around the 35 speed limit, and instead of sunday drive shift to 3, I stomp on it. My wife says it puts her navel into her backbone. Sounds good too!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like fourth a lot, but it can get you arrested. I vote for third.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
T H R E E! :grin:

Every stang I have owned seems to like third, or maybe its just me. :wink:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Another vote for T H I R D. Can cruise around town in it and also be ready to tromp it when a ricer comes along.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm going to have to say 2nd. I raced my friend in his BMW 540 this weekend and it was dead even until I chirped into second and pulled away like he was driving a Corolla.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, each has it's own appeal:

1st is great for burnouts
2nd is great for chirping
3rd is great for downshifts and power
4th is great for cruising
5th is great for gas mileage

So, I choose them all. :grin: :grin:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
878 Posts
make mine 2nd gear. you can fly around town without going too fast, but getting that buzz on acceleration. I love on ramps to the freeway- I figure they can't give you a ticket for getting to the speed limit too fast.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOVE GEAR 4 !!!!!!IT MIGHT GET YOU ARRESTED, BUT PUSH THE GO PEDDLE TO THE FLOOR DOING 55 AND HOLD IT THERE. I SWEAR IT FEELS LIKE A JETLINER GOING DOWN THE RUNWAY JUST BEFORE V1. THIS BABY PULLS. I COULD ALMOST FEEL LIFT. NOT REALLY!!!!! IT ACTUALLY HUNKERS DOWN AT SPEED , WITH A NICE SECURE FEEL. USE 4TH CAREFULLY, BUT IT IS A RUSH. RICK

·
Registered
451 Posts
Try downshifting into 3rd at 70 and putting it on the floor! :grin: (Not that I would do such a thing. :roll: )

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts