Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 8 years of trying different modifications to the shifter lever I have yet one more attempt.
My problem has been the long reach for 3rd gear and the too small OEM shift knob for me. Oh and the height of the OEM lever was too high.

I won't bore you with all the details of different combinations that for some reason or another just did not work for me.

My new creation addresses the reach, the knob size, unfortunately the height is only a little lower than the OEM.

I cut the top mount hole off of the Tri-ax, I would never use it anyway.
I made two plates that would moved the shift lever back about an inch.
I cut the stem off of an extra OEM shifter and used it for the rear mount and sandwiched it between the two plates.
I mounted the OEM rubber isolator and shift lever to the right of the new bracket.
I probably could have gotten away with just the one plate on the left but I went ahead and used one on the right also. The front bolts do not secure the right plate but it should help keep the entire mount from moving.

The shift knob is a Steeda 2 1/8" ball. The original stem was too small and the boot would start go go around the stem. I got a stem but it was too wide at the base so put it in a drill and let it run while I held a hacksaw up to it. I cut it off just about where the stem was the same diameter as the top of the OEM boot.

I could probably still go with a little shorter stem but for I am going to try it like this for a while. I mean it has ONLY been 8 years.

Here is the OEM in what would have been 1st gear, the new knob is what is 3rd gear now.

Attachments

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
nice work!!!!! looks real nice!!! are you happy with the feel now?

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The feel is really close. I would still like it about an inch lower but I have the OEM shift lever cut all the way down and then I cut threads down to the angle. So unless I want to go with a different shift lever, but then I would loose the OEM isolator.
I can still find a shorter stem OR cut mine down some more. But I am going to try it for awhile.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Mid Life Crisis #388 said:
Thanks guys. The feel is really close. I would still like it about an inch lower but I have the OEM shift lever cut all the way down and then I cut threads down to the angle. So unless I want to go with a different shift lever, but then I would loose the OEM isolator.
I can still find a shorter stem OR cut mine down some more. But I am going to try it for awhile.
Larry,

Don't know if you can do this or not ???

But my Brother with his 1961 Vette did this with one of his shifters.

He Cut the Shifter Handle/Shaft where it would Not-Show and then took it and had it Welded

back together.

Ground off the Shifter and the Boot in his case covered up the New Weld ......

Then Painted it ...... You could Not-Tell it was Modified !!!!!!!!

Bam, New Height for Shifter Handle ........

Exactly where he wanted it.

Custom Made for the Owner by the Owner.........

This very well might work for you !!!!!!!!

Something to possibly look at and consider :idea: :idea: :idea:

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think a simple cut and weld would work. I thought about heating it up and bending it. If I did that then I could probably do away with all the hardware to move the shifter back.
I already have extra OEM shifters. I need a torch. Seems like another project.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Mid Life Crisis #388 said:
I don't think a simple cut and weld would work. I thought about heating it up and bending it. If I did that then I could probably do away with all the hardware to move the shifter back.
I already have extra OEM shifters. I need a torch. Seems like another project.
Larry,

Actually I did forget the Heating up and Bending .........

He also did that to one.

The Cutting out of the Shaft the last time worked really well.

And the real Plus side was No-One could tell it was done.

He installed a Doug Nash 6-Speed in his 61 Vette once.

With a really good rear end gear ratio.

Very Quick and had Overdrive gears up on top.

A Win Win situation.

Terry

·
Registered
618 Posts
Too bad they couldn't get the shifter in the right spot from the factory!!!!!

I've moved my MGW adjustable handle round and round to try and find the right spot. I think I am going to give up with this one for a while since I will be buying an MGW shifter from a friend.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Pretty cool mod!!Don't know what the guys at Ford were thinking when they designed the shifter,and sitting locations in the SN95/new edge chassis LOL!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts