Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted a fire extinguisher inside the cabin of their 08/09 Bullitt or 05-09 Mustang? I bought a 2.5 lb extinguisher and a brushed billet flat bracket and clamp, and I am trying to figure out the best place to mount it. Pictures please if you have them.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I have an 01 and, due to 45TH open track rules at Barber Motorsports Park, I am going to mount mine on the vertical surface just below the front edge of the back seat.

Very important! It is a good idea to invest in the Halon extinguisher. If you have to use it, there will be no white powder all over your pony.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PhotoRick said:
I have an 01 and, due to 45TH open track rules at Barber Motorsports Park, I am going to mount mine on the vertical surface just below the front edge of the back seat.

Very important! It is a good idea to invest in the Halon extinguisher. If you have to use it, there will be no white powder all over your pony.
I am doing this because of the Barber track day too. That sounds like a good place for it since people rarely sit in my back seat- I will see if that works for me. I didn't think about the powder- bought a red Maxout chemical extinguisher. If I decide to get a chrome extinguisher I will make it Halon. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fire extinguisher- Check!

I got my fire extinguisher installed today. Beneath the rear seat on the passenger's side was a great idea- thanks to Rick! It is an easy reach and the seat can go all the way back. I took it to the dealer body shop to make sure that I wouldn't drill into anything that doesn't like holes, and they were nice enough to put it on for no charge. Now I am all set for Barber. I hope they don't make me take the center caps off- I think that may only apply to older Mustangs with looser wheel accessories, since I think the 08/09 center caps are on there pretty good.

I bought the brushed billett surface bracket, clamp, and red dry chemical extinguisher from Summit Racing. They are made by H&R Performance. I may go back and buy a chrome HalGuard extinguisher and keep it in the car permanently.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
HalGuard Fire Extinguishers

BB2008 said:
I got my fire extinguisher installed today. Beneath the rear seat on the passenger's side was a great idea- thanks to Rick! It is an easy reach and the seat can go all the way back. I took it to the dealer body shop to make sure that I wouldn't drill into anything that doesn't like holes, and they were nice enough to put it on for no charge. Now I am all set for Barber. I hope they don't make me take the center caps off- I think that may only apply to older Mustangs with looser wheel accessories, since I think the 08/09 center caps are on there pretty good.

I bought the brushed billett surface bracket, clamp, and red dry chemical extinguisher from Summit Racing. They are made by H&R Performance. I may go back and buy a chrome HalGuard extinguisher and keep it in the car permanently.

Very helpful info and pics, Ken. Thanks a lot!

I just bought a fire extinguisher and first aid kit today, because when I show my Bullitt at a car show these are things they expect every car to have.

No real racing in my Bullitt's future as things stand now. But I like the idea of having these on hand anyway. Meanwhile, the Halon vs. standard fire extinguisher idea is very interesting. I see Summit Racing Equipment charges $40 more for chrome vs. red HalGuard extinguishers. Personally, I like classic red. ;)

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
SteveNYC said:
Very helpful info and pics, Ken. Thanks a lot!

I just bought a fire extinguisher and first aid kit today, because when I show my Bullitt at a car show these are things they expect every car to have.

No real racing in my Bullitt's future as things stand now. But I like the idea of having these on hand anyway. Meanwhile, the Halon vs. standard fire extinguisher idea is very interesting. I see Summit Racing Equipment charges $40 more for chrome vs. red HalGuard extinguishers. Personally, I like classic red. ;)

Steve
Yes, the HalGuard is a lot more but saves you from a mess. The thing I worry about Halon is that it will suffocate you in an enclosed space. FYI, I shopped these H&R parts all over the web and it was just about the same price everywhere; they must have tight price control in place. I bought the 2.5 lb bottle since I figured a 1 lb bottle is like spitting on a bon fire.

I don't plan on doing a lot of hard core track driving with the B, but I would like to take it out on one once or twice a year. Everyone I talk to says I am crazy to take my car on the track, but I will be smart about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts