Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on changing the oil at 1000 mi, which is a mere ~150 miles away. After reading all the debates about 5w20, I think the best thing will just to be to stay with that spec. However, I'd really like to move to synthetic. Was running Castrol Syntec in the T-bird, but I haven't seen ANY synthetic 5w20 by any brand. Has anyone else had any luck?

Also, for those who believe in oil additives (I do, and have used Slick 50 in the past), would you suggest waiting until X000 miles to first use one? (And what would you substitute for "X"?)
I'm debating between Slick 50 and the various competitors at the moment, still have some research to do.

Also, oil filter brands: Rumor has it that the motorcraft filter is actually pretty good. However, is there anything else people would recommend? K&N makes one that is supposed to minimize dry starts with some sort of check valve preventing ALL the oil from draining into the pan, but I don't know if it's hype or really effective... I won't use Fram because of a long standing (3 generations) family ban on the use of Fram oil filters. :smile:

Thanks for any info!

Joe

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FORGET THE PART ABOUT THE ADDITIVES.

Since posting that message, I've essentially done a 180 on the idea of additives in oil, and do not intend to use any. I found this article, and it raises enough doubt in my mind that NO additive will be going into my Bullitt.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/snake_oil.txt

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FORGET THE PART ABOUT THE ADDITIVES.

Since posting that message, I've essentially done a 180 on the idea of additives in oil, and do not intend to use any. I found this article, and it raises enough doubt in my mind that NO additive will be going into my Bullitt.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/snake_oil.txt

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
That is my view on it. Dupont spents tons of money trying to get the snake oil people to stop using their name "Dupont" with the telfon advertisements. In the end Dupont lost and they are allowed to use it, (I believe that was the last hearing) Dupont wanted it stopped because they said the Teflon would not aid in doing what the snake oil people were claiming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts