Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what type oil are you Bullitt owners going with....5W20 or 5W30? Any info on using other than the "Recommended" 5W20 "machine oil"??

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Been researching the same question. Excluding the mail order stuff, I would prefer to use Mobil 1. But they don't have the 5W-20 yet so I could use the 5W-30.

If I go with the 5W-20, so far I have found that Pennzoil has one that is a synthetic blend.

So far it looks like the use of the lighter oil is for better gas mileage. Probably worth at most a 1/2 MPG to us.

I was planning on doing the first oil change this weekend so hopefully we will get some good feedback Mus408.

Probably flip a coin between the Mobile 1 and the Pennz blend.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is something I heard from an AMMZOIL rep.,about Mobil 1. He stated that he talked to a just retired Mobil engineer,and that when EXXON merged with Mobile,they EXXON,changed,downgraded,the additives in the Mobil
1 oil,for more profit. During some brand tests,the Mobil isn't quite what it was before. I am still using it in my 85 351 LX though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-06-21 22:14 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I have Castrol Syntech blend 5w30 in mine right now. Changed it at 550 miles. Have just over 2800 miles now and will keep using the Castrol.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
using Valvoline full synthetic 5W-30
will ALWAYS use 5W-30, Never 5W-20 whether it's synthetic or not

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have talked to reps. at Valvoline,and Roush Performance. They all say to keep the factory warranty coverage,use only the 5W-20 weight oils. Something must have changed in the piston ring package,or lube system,but FORD won't say. So for now I will go with that until further info. turns up. A synthetic version would be best.....When I can find it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You know.....

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the w20 and the w30. I really wouldn't worry about it all that much.

You won't have any problems running 5w30 in Bullitt. As someone pointed out...it seems to be for mileage. Besides, if you are using synthetic it won't matter being a w30 weight over a w20 weight.

Paul G.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have read that you shouldn't start to use a synthetic oil until around 3000 miles. I am not sure why, I just remember reading it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
there are 2 schools of thought. some say you shouldn't change to synthetic until after 3000 miles cuz part of thr break-in process REQUIRES the friction of standard oils.
synthetics eliminate a little of that friction some people believe is necessary for initial break-in. and they may be 100 % correct. as everything, different people feel differently about the 2 different thoughts!!
hope they are wrong since i changed to synthetic @ 500 miles!!!

2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-06-22 14:08 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Ok.. I found some information on the 5W-20 questions.

From the manual page 154,

SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended.

Only use oils "Certified For Gasoline Engines" by API.

The kicker is where it says oil meeting Ford Specs WSS-M2C153-H

Below are some links to information about the NEW Ford WSS-M2C153-H

good information from Exxon

Amsoils point of view

Pennzoils information ....you then have to select Pennzoil and dowload the PDF file by right-clicking and save file.

For now I think I will put the 5W-20 in seeing as that is what it already has in it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
When I was at the dealer the other day, I asked the head technician his opinion of synthetic oil vs. regular & what he thought was a proper break-in period. He said, in his opinion, break-in requires more friction between the rings & cylinder walls & he wouldn't change to synthetic until after 2,000 miles. He also said he thought synthetic was probably the better oil to use, but there's not much difference between it & a good brand of regular oil. My thoughts exactly.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
DAMN IT YOU GUYS!!!!
cut it out, i'm perfectly happy being a dinosaur and/or an old dog who CAN'T learn new tricks.
in the last month, i've stopped using 92 octane for every fill-up like i've done for the last 5 years and started using 89 and 87 octane. And now you send me intelligent, relavent information on new technology making it seem to be OK to use 5W-20 oil!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

sigh, it's so much easier living in my dark, static, unwilling to change universe!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!!!

(seriously, thanks for the info and links. it's good stuff to know!!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I just hit 1000 miles today and I plan to put in reg. 5w20 Valvoline. Then at 3000 miles go to Valvoline synthetic 5w20.
My brother-n-law went to an oil testing class about 6-7 years ago and Valvoline and castrol were 1&2 in every area with a big drop to #3. Penzoil was the worst and they recomended not to even put it in a lawn mower. However, they did not test synthetics. I have also heard not to put in a synthetic till break in is over.
Does it really matter anyway?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Crimecrusher#444,

I looked at Valvolines web site but I could not find any information about their 5W-20. Regular or synthetic. Is it out there and they have not updated their site yet or did I just miss it.

Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
I couldn't find 5W 20 so I went with Havoline 5W 30 full synthetic and changed to it at about 1200 miles.

Now if someone can tell me how to adjust the damned carburetor....

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
smasher, it's just that little screw with a spring on the side of our 4 barrell ...................
..............oh, wait a minute?............
damn!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did my oil change at 961 miles, used the Motorcraft 5W-20. Gonna stick with it for a while.

I've also heard that you shouldn't use synthetics right away, and even to wait until 20,000 miles before you start using it. When I was working in an auto parts store, that's what I used to tell people too.

Also, the heiarchy of oils that I recall was: Kendall, Castrol, Valvoline...etc. Quaker State was supposed to be up there too. Pennzoil was always the worst in the "independent lab" studies that I read, but who knows who paid for them. BUT to this day, I won't run Pennzoil in my lawn mower either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts