Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who's cars hibernate withOUT being started for months. Upon first start up after months, do you not hear any abnormal engine noises? At least on that first start?
I've read a few articles online and references here that stating that engine/component lubrication will be degraded leading to abnormal noises initially.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
I've never noticed any abnormal noises in my '01 on first start-up after winter hibernation in the 20 years that I've stored it over the winter.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I just make sure oil is topped up - then switch key on, floor the throttle (in that order - clear flood mode) then crank for about 10-15 seconds. The car won’t start with throttle floored, in clear flood mode, but it will build oil pressure while cranking. Next, switch it off and remove foot - then start normally. All this does is to help build oil pressure before you start it up..

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Nothing out-of-normal w/ my '09...not even clattering. Guess she's happy waking up f/ fun. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just make sure oil is topped up - then switch key on, floor the throttle (in that order - clear flood mode) then crank for about 10-15 seconds. The car won’t start with throttle floored, in clear flood mode, but it will build oil pressure while cranking. Next, switch it off and remove foot - then start normally. All this does is to help build oil pressure before you start it up..
Will try. Curious, is this acceptable to do after any extended period of no start or just after long ones? IE, two weeks vs 3 months. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For those who's cars hibernate withOUT being started for months. Upon first start up after months, do you not hear any abnormal engine noises? At least on that first start?
I've read a few articles online and references here that stating that engine/component lubrication will be degraded leading to abnormal noises initially.
I try to start mine at least every couple weeks and run it for 15 or 20 minutes. I also keep a trickle charger hooked up

·
Registered
2019 Bullitt DHG K0158 300mi w/magneride, tint, electronics, Pirelli P-Zero A/S w/2021 Mach1 wheels
58 Posts
My 2019 rattled like the dickens after it sat for 2 months in a 35'F semi-heated garage. After warming up = quiet as usual. No problemo! Oil drained into the crankcase and it only took a few minutes to quell the rattle once oil pressure was up. I like the idea of 'flooding' the engine and turning it over until oil pressure is up, then starting. Thx Oldlugs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Will try. Curious, is this acceptable to do after any extended period of no start or just after long ones? IE, two weeks vs 3 months. Thanks.
You can do it any time you like. Probably not necessary though, unless sitting for more than a couple weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts