Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the thread "I Saw A..." but I thought it was worthy of a thread of its own for entertainment purposes at the very least. Everyone knows the feeling of seeing a custom rod rip away and the cool effect of flames shooting out of the exhaust right. Well I am curious as to whether or not this would work on a fuel injected car. I have only seen it on old carbeurated rods. I have the instructions on how to do it but question both the functionality of it and the danger to melting the rear valance on the Bullitt.

·
Registered
568 Posts
1NastyFordGt is right, the cat's will burn up any unspent fuel that made it through the combustion cycle & that's what ignites to make the flames. I've seen this effect on several street-legal cars when the exhaust dumps are opened up (usually requires a double-pumper, multiple carbs or large jets to get that much fuel down the intake). As far as a kit goes, maybe they burn oxygen or helium to produce a similar effect. Obviously, you'd have to lengthen your exhaust tips. If nothing else, you'd certainly discolor the paint on the bumper cover.

·
Registered
568 Posts
This brings up another point I'd like to make. A few guys in my office saw Fast & Furious & commented on the Ricer's exhaust's shooting flames while sitting at the line revving their engines. Without the nitrous on, there's no way they'd get enough fuel into a cool exhaust (car was just started, hasn't been running) to ignite like that. Which brings me to my point, most new movies featuring cars or chase scenes suck nowadays. The Fast & the Furious & Gone in 60 Seconds are all done with digital enhancements. Big deal! Movies like Bullitt, Vanishing Point, the original Gone in 60 Seconds, Smokey & the Bandit & McQ (John Wayne drives a Firebird) were cool because they're real cars doing things that aren't impossible, just nuts. Ronin's decent, too, but they're all Eurpoean cars. Anyway, that's my spiel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts