Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....probably not good. Well, I drove the Bullitt to work today. While at work I got a call from home telling me that there was spots on the driveway where my car was parked the night before. Of course that didnt put me in a great mood. When I left work, I moved it and looked where it was parked there all day. There was nothing on the ground at all. I dont really know what to do or check first, ill probably get my mechanic to look at it this weekend. :confused:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hopefully it was the pizza guy's delivery mobile!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had the same problem and for me, it turned out to be the gasket between the oil filter adapter housing and the block. Thing was, it wouldn't drip if the engine was warm as everything expands, but rather when it was cold. Became really obvious when I changed the oil and crawled under to check it out. The royal purple oil I use just flowed right out tho...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
What color are the spots??? If your guy cant help ya out I might me able too.. let me know :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
When you get home tonight, let the car cool down a little and climb under there and wipe down the bottom side of the engine, rack, trans, etc. Basically anywhere that has gaskets and seals otr any other way to leak. Then, place some cardboard under the car. This will allow you to monitor roughly where the leak is coming from without causing any further staining of your driveway. Baring that you wiped everything down good, you should be able to narrow down your causes once you crawl back under there to have a look. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i checked it out....it definitely looks like its coming from the rear end (which I got rebuilt about 6 months ago) Looks like it coming from where the pinion seal is. I called up the place that did it, he said he would reseal it for free, which he should, and I should be good to go. So the B is resting for a few days until I can get in there to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hopefully that's your issue....An easy fix.Good luck! :wink:
Pinion seals suck.Mine has been leaking since last summer,and i had it replaced this past mid summer.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Did you find the drain plug alright??

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, the B got checked out finally and turns out that I have 2 leaks. The rear was only very slightly leaking. The diff. cover is beat up and bent slightly, looks like from the previous owner jacking it up by the rear since ive never done that. Ill be getting a new cover for around $45 and he said he would split the labor since he just did the build up recently. ALSO though, the trans connection to the driveshaft is leaking transfluid. So, he said that part is only like 5-10 bucks, hopefully I can get my mechanic to do the work so that i dont have to pay tons of labor on a $10 part.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
if it's the rear seal on the tranny, then your gear guy will already have the driveshaft out... take another 5 seconds to put the new one in :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Trans seal

I had the same problem with the trans seal. Mine was slinging trans fluid out to the x pipe and although it never left a spot on the floor I could smell the fluid burning off. The seal is not a standard item the only place I could find one was at the dealer.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
K98dave said:
I had the same problem with the trans seal. Mine was slinging trans fluid out to the x pipe and although it never left a spot on the floor I could smell the fluid burning off. The seal is not a standard item the only place I could find one was at the dealer.
Was it as cheap as he said it was?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the B is fixed finally. After the morons at the local Springfield Ford gave us the wrong part twice, another Ford dealer finally got the right one and it finally got fixed. The tail shaft seal was like $15, but the Motorcraft fluid was pretty ridiculous at like $25/quart. After a couple weeks of pain in the ass and borrowing a car, its good to go again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts