Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have the 11" clutch and 3650 tranny. I bought the FRPP nodular flywheel part number M6375-D46. I bought it from 50Resto. It was listed as for use with the 11inch clutch. FRPP Ford Dealer confirmed the part number. My Centerforce DF did not fit. My shop told me the bolt pattern was for a 10 1/2" clutch. The flywheel is stamped with the correct part number. The bolt circle is 11 3/8" diameter. Seems too narrow.

Can someone tell me the correct bolt circle? I wonder if it was mis-drilled????[/

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I was almost in the same position you are in........
I bought the CF DF 11" 10 Spline Clutch and knew it was the right one.
I also bought the CF Forged Steel FW but it was confusing to me what the number of bolts for the bullitt flywheel was (six or eight).

When I got the parts, I was checking them over before taking them to OKC (150 miles) to my Installer/Tuner. I found that the part number for the Flywheel I got was for a 6 bolt Main. I read somewhere else that the Bullitt is the same as the Cobra and has a 8 bolt Main.

Then I started seeing peeps say on here that our Main is 6 bolt.

So, to eliminate the situation that you are now in, I just sent the flywheel back for refund and kept the stock FW and had it resurfaced for 45.00 (Stone). BTW that part number you quoted above for the FW (M6375-D46) is a STOCK Cast Iron Flywheel. Why would you buy that as it is the same that is in your car now (either 6 or 8 bolt)?

I still do not know if our Main is 6 or 8 Bolt but I no longer need to know.

Having said all that....I just read somewhere else that Ford changed the cranks again in the middle of the 2001 production year. So that means that not all Bullitts have the same cranks?

I don't know. I do know that Ford is really screwed up with this Modular Engine crap and swapping parts around as they choose (apparently picking whatever happens to be on the shelf at the time!).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well.......
I just stated that they changed cranks in the middle of the 2001 Model year. I didn't make that up, it is well documented.

Knowing that, and knowing that some Bullitts came with other GT Parts such as glass, c-pillars, etc.... (at least one with a GT intake), I doubt that you could say that "Ours is a 6 bolt main" and be absolutely correct.

Yours MAY be and his MAY NOT BE.

The ONLY way to know for sure is to open each one up! Kinda like Christmas!
-or-
Kinda like a box of chocolates!

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the clutch replaced once before and the flywheel was resurfaced then. It was definitely six bolt. The flywheel from 50Resto is advertised as working with the 11" clutch. It does not. The bolt pattern is 11.375" diameter. Not spaced wide enough for an 11" clutch. I bought the nodular flywheel as I don't feel I need the billet model for a stock motor that will not see high rpm launches. I also feel like the flywheel it came with is probably about the same as our brake rotors. One resurface and done.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well, all I can tell you is that the CF DF Clutch DF800075 (11" 10 Spline) fit my stock flywheel fine.

If you find that you have bought the wrong clutch, I have my stock clutch and pressure plate here and you can have it for free if you want it. There was nothing wrong with it when it came out, I just changed because I went supercharged.

I am even coming to Houston on the 15th and could meet you if you want to wait that long.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably haven't been as clear as I could have with my description of the problem so I'll try this.

My Centerforce clucth is the correct 11" model. It would fit the correct stock flywheel.

Ford Racing makes a nodular iron flywheel (M-6375-D46) as a replacement for 96-2004 six bolt Mustangs. They do not indicate in their literature whether it fits the 10 1/2", 11" or both size clutches.

50Resto advertises it to be compatible with the 11" clutch. They are wrong.

Randy (Liberty Ford) confirmed for me that the flywheel will only mate up with the 10 1/2" clutch.

My shop ordered and installed a the correct flywheel for me after they discovered I supplied them with the incorrect version. I just need to return the one I purchased from 50Resto.

All is well now. I love the DF. Very soft pedal and appears to be good clamping. I'll know more when I finish the break-in.

Thanks for the help and offer. Are you bringing your car to Houston?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yes, I am bringing the car.
I have a Physical Exam on Katy Freeway on the 15th, then on to League City for the night and then all day in Galveston on the 16th for a course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts