Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Karl

The stock GT fog lights will only go on when you put the headlights on. In almost every state it is illegial to have fog lights on without the main lights. Why, I don't know but I have seen a lot of posts from people at the Corral who have addressed this issue a number of times.

With that said you can wire the fog lights to go on independently. I will try to find the instructions and post them here if you are interested.

Steve

·
Registered
209 Posts
Recently this has been changed. You can now have the fogs on with just the parking lights on. I have installed the fog lights using the wiring that is already on the car. I had to get a fog light swith and then plug in the lights. It was very easy since all the wiring was complete :grin:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the correction. I have been looking at a set of fog lights from CDC but dislike the fact that you cannot put them on, on command.

Karl

You should check with your local authorities. They will be able to tell you if it is legal in your area.

Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
The guy there, Justin Starkey, said that he put in some brighter bulbs and that made the lights better. I guess I may do that before I install them too!
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The GT fog lights (which I have installed in my Bullitt) look great but are pretty much completely useless for actually lighting up the road, no matter how you align them. I'm still happy with them as I just did it for looks. Good luck with your brighter lights. :smile:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,104 Posts
Our fog lights come on with the parking lights. Ford installed them and ran them to the switch on the dash.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Fog lights are not meant to be auxilary or off-road driving lights. They are designed to throw a broad, flat beam which fills in between the front bumper and the trailing edge of the low beam pattern and extends beyond the side of the road so you can find you lane markers in inclement weather. Using them in the rain is pretty usless since the light reflects of the water layer on the road. They are also legally limited in light output.

Driving with fog lights in clear weather does absolutely no good. Having them set up for use without the low beams is courting disaster, since they only light about 20' in front of the car. Even with our better brakes you'd never get stopped in time above 25 mph.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had fogs installed by my dealer and they turn on with parking lights or headlights.
I differ a little with one of the posts that said running fogs without low beams is no good. I was caught in mountain fog here in Pennsylvania and the fog was so bad, the low beams blinded you in the fog! I used only the fogs and could at least follow the middle lines in the road. Made it out of the fog after 20 minutes with a huge headache.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Fog Lights for 2001 now turn on with the Parking Lamps. I've never heard of a law restricting this considering that nearly all European Marks equippped with fog lights work the same way.

Depending on conditions, driving in a foggy area with the low beams can decrease your viewing distance, ergo the reason the fog lights can be on. They will help to illuminate the immediate area infront of the car and will illuminate the road surface. Since they are low beams they don't light much, they're ment to highlight things to help you. On a Mustang for the most part they are useless. I have had to use them on my last mustang and they did help when I hit a very foggy patch one morning.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I assume you guys all know modifying the car in anyway whatsoever can hurt the resale value especially many years from now. There's a few things I'd like to do but I'm leaving the car 100% stock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any Mod that is easily reversed, and undetectable after reversal - such as fog lights, alum. driveshaft, wheel spacers, etc.. would not hurt the re-sale value. I would think they would actually add to the value as added bonuses to the future buyer.

Just make sure you save the origional parts!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrSteed on 2001-10-03 11:08 ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts