Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've been doing a lot of research about adding fog lights to the Bullitt and could not find any actual how to's with the installation with pictures. So here we go. Here's all of my pricing...I did everything under $100

99-04 FORD MUSTANG SMOKE OEM FOG LIGHTS FOGLIGHTS (eBay) by gforceusa
This product came with a pair of smoked foglights installed into the bracket with bulbs installed. I chose the smoked foglights because they are not cloudy like the stock gt ones and the black housing matches our headlights better than the chrome ones.
Price: $34.00 + $20.00 (S&H) = $54.00

2001-2004 Mustang GT Fog Light Switch (http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99011770)
Price: $24.00 + $7.87 (S&H) = $31.87

Dorman U-Type Speed Nuts (Qty 12) Part# 961-305 by Autozone
These are used so that the screws have something to catch on when you screw in the foglights
Price: $2.29

Dorman Black Trim Screws (Qty 10) Part# 961-220 by Autozone
Price: $2.29

Total Cost: $90.04

The Bullitt is pre-wired for foglights...Just look up under the car around where the foglight tabs are and you will find the wires on both sides:

There are 2 tabs for the foglights under the bumper:

There are 2 holes under the bumper for the 3rd screw and tab on the bottom of the foglight:

Step 1: Put the Bullitt on some ramps...it is a lot easier to access under the bumper

Step 2: I went ahead and put one of the U-type Speed Nuts on the bottom tab of the foglight (you may have to use a regular screwdriver to open up the speed nut enough to slide it over the tab)

Step 3: Now place the U-type Speed Nuts on the 2 top tabs under the bumper

Step 4: Fish the foglight under the bumper and into place...then you can screw the first screw under the bumper. In the bumper, there is a hole that the screw goes through into the bottom of the foglight tab with your speed nut and also another hole that a tab from the foglight fits into. This step allows for the foglight to be held into place.

Step 5: This is by far the hardest part and takes time and patience. The foglight is now held into place secure enough by the bottom screw. This step requires you to fish your hand with the screw blindly under the bumper to find the 2 tabs on top of the fog light. It is a real PITA to get the screw going because of the limited room and lack of vision. Some people try to use a magnetic screw driver (which I bought and tried). However, I had the best of luck by fishing one hand under the bumper with the screw and using the other hand on the outside, pulling the bumper tab down. After I got it going I grabbed the screw driver and fished it in the tight space and tightened the screws. It took me about 45 minutes to get the hang of how to find the tab and get it to match up with bumper tab and installed speed nut without being able to see it. Good Luck...once you get one in, the next will go by very quick.

Now just tighten up all three bolts and repeat for the next side.

Step 6: Plug in the foglights with the wires already under the bumper.

Step 7: Unscrew the shifter ball

Step 8: Pop out the shifter console very carefully without braking the tabs.

Step 9: Disconnect the cigarette lighter and pull the shifter console over the shifter (do not remove it, just move it out of the way)

Step 10: Pull the blank/dummy switch out of the console and disconnect it

Step 11: Just snap the new foglight switch into place and push it back into the console until it snaps into place

Step 12: Reassemble the shifter boot and screw the shifter ball back onto the shifter. And you're done.

Remember, the running/amber bulbs or headlights must be on to turn the fog lights on. I thought you could just turn the car on and hit the switch, but nothing happened. Here's the finished product.

Before and After:

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Austin

·
Registered
238 Posts
For Step 5, I used some scotch tape to secure the screw on the screw driver. Once the screw becomes tight in the hole, you can just pull the screw driver off with the tape. It made that step much easier. Nice write up.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It is really a very easy Mod and nobody should be afraid to attempt this.

Awesome write up BTW!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
VCal-Bullitt2567 said:
For Step 5, I used some scotch tape to secure the screw on the screw driver. Once the screw becomes tight in the hole, you can just pull the screw driver off with the tape. It made that step much easier. Nice write up.
Just an FYI add to your comment. I found out by being around older people that a tube of fixadent is an awesome addition to your tool box. You can honestly put just a dab in the groves of the screw head and it's not going to come off the driver!!! :wink:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Very nice writeup. I didn't have fogs on my to-do list, but due to poor visibility I may be looking into this myself.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Can you do a outdoor daylight picture of the car with the new smoked lamps? Its difficult to see how dark they are with flash photography, many thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope these help...I kept getting a glare off of the headlights, but you can easily see the foglights

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
This is a great write-up:clap:......wish i could of had this when i did mine.....this is good stuff:wink:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Can we add this to the Bullitt Archive under Mods?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mods for mod's .....fog lights

Hey moderators,
Can you place this tutorial in the mods archieve? It was really informational until the pictures became unavailable.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
mine have been sitting in a box for 4 months..I guess I should install them before march 18th when the insurance is put back on

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about that...I changed my photobucket account around and apparently it deleted all of the pictures on the forums that I've posted...it did the same thing to me with the IAC mod. I have both corrected though...I went back and recreated the whole post and posted this as a new thread under mods with the pictures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts