Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the following link: http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=508&forum=2

Also, I showed the relationship of the stock Bullitt pulleys to a set of BBK/STEEDA pulleys (the water pulley is different)but I think I e-mailed the figures to truebullittblue. John if you have it can you post it for the newbies, thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-10-25 08:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-10-25 08:16 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks again for all the good info arthur!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not to continually kick a dead horse, but if I ordered the Steeda pulleys would it be better to just change the crank pulley and leave the other stock pulleys or put the whole set on? It's my understanding that you cannot buy just the crank pulley. I've read in previous threads about people that put on underdrive pulleys and were burning up waterpumps, etc, is that possible? I know that we already have underdrive on our cars, but how will changing the crank pulley affect the others performance as far as functionality and not burning up? Is changing the crank pulley a relatively easy mod?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
that's a very good question Kurt. from what i'm led to believe....except for the crank pulley, the other pullies Ford put on our Bullitts are just as good as the Steeda's but i think Arthur replaced them all. there might have been a small differnce in the others too!
when he has a minute,...he'll get you an answer!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Coolerking,

I just installed Steeda u/d pulleys. The water pump pulley is about 3/4" larger than stock and the crank pulley is just about opposite. If you install only the crank you will spin the water pump faster causing it to burn up quicker. The larger Steeda pulley compensates for this. The alternator pulleys appeared to be the same size, so I left the stock one on. As far as installation ease... if you have moderate mechanical ability than it sould be no problem. Send me an email if you want a description of the install.

·
Registered
543 Posts
These are the pulley measurements that Arthur was kind enough to have supplied me...

Alt: stock-2.5" Steeda-2.5" BBK-2.5"
Crank: stock-7.0" Steeda-5.25" BBK-5.25"
Water: stock-5.5" Steeda-6.50" BBK-6.50"

If you just replace the crank pulley you will have to purchase a new belt that is 1.7 inches smaller than stock. I elected to replace both the water pump and crank pulley so that I could retain the stock belt. I figured that Steeda and BBK designed the water pump pulley to be 6.5 inches for a good reason. Also, if Arthur changed his water pump pulley I was going to change my water pump pulley. I didn't want to take any chances on overheating in Atlanta traffic.

John

Pro 5.0 Shifter
Densecharger CAI
Superchips Premium Fuel Chip
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
GT Fog Lights / Tinted Windows
MGW LTD Interior Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-10-25 20:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John

·
Registered
204 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-25 19:11, Brad1790 wrote:
Coolerking,

I just installed Steeda u/d pulleys. The water pump pulley is about 3/4" larger than stock and the crank pulley is just about opposite. If you install only the crank you will spin the water pump faster causing it to burn up quicker. The larger Steeda pulley compensates for this. The alternator pulleys appeared to be the same size, so I left the stock one on. As far as installation ease... if you have moderate mechanical ability than it sould be no problem. Send me an email if you want a description of the install.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for the info. I've been holding off ordering the pulleys until I found out more info. Traffic in the DC area here can be brutal and I didn't want anything to go wrong. I will order them this winter. I was a mechanic in the past and am mechanically enclined but if you have any pics or info on the install, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Okay, after thinking about it I decided to "run the numbers".
The crank number is the number of inches the belt will travel in one revolution.
The Alt and Water number is the ratio of revolutions of the accessory to the crank.

Based on these I would suggest only replacing the crank.

All Stock:
Crank 22in
Alt 2.8:1
Water 1.27:1

All Steeda/BBK:
Crank 16.5in
Alt 2.1:1 (25% reduction)
Water 0.81:1 (36.5% reduction)

Replacing only the Crank:
Crank 16.5in
Water 1.05:1 (25% reduction)

Hope this helps. Someone double check my numbers too.. its late friday!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-26 20:20, llama_boy wrote:

All Steeda/BBK:
Crank 16.5in
Water 0.81:1 (36.5% reduction)

Replacing only the Crank:
Crank 16.5in
Water 1.05:1 (25% reduction)

I think you might have scared me off from this mod. It gets hot here in SoCal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
can someone tell me the exact belt size needed for just changing the crank pulley. I was at ford and they only had a few belts, and 88.4 89, 91 all were too small and the had the stock size.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Did you ever get a reply.. I'm about to buy some underdrive pullies and I now need to make the decision.

TIA

On 2001-10-28 10:59, tracktoy wrote:
can someone tell me the exact belt size needed for just changing the crank pulley. I was at ford and they only had a few belts, and 88.4 89, 91 all were too small and the had the stock size.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Change the crank and the water and leave the alt.,then you can use the stock belt. My bullitt runs cooler now than it did with the stock pulleys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts