Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
What do you expect from an article that says the color choices are Black, Dark Green and Steel Gray?

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I read the "article" and replied to them. I pointed out the correct color options and that the car was meant as a tribute to the movie and car of 1968. I also explained that the car is for those who appreciate the muscle car era, like myself, and feel that no V6 can match the power and sound of the V8. I also pointed out that the car not only gets attention at traffic lights, but just as many, if not more, just sitting still. What other car under $30,000 can get that kind of attention? I think everyone should send a reply to the "article". They have a spot at the bottom of the article for replies.
Cam

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Always wondered which topic would be the longest thread, this may be it. GOD was that funny. Backseat legroom....Look at a Subaru for real horsepower. LOL

Below was my response. I am sure we could all send them like ten page letters but I am not sure it will do any good.

Gotta go now me and the little family is heading down to the Subaru dealer to snatch up a real muscle machine. LOL

My response to Forbes

I read your article on the Bullitt.

I have to imagine that the incorrect statements are not your fault but that you were given incorrect information at the time of the test drive.
You spec sheet the only thing that is 100% correct is the engine size. Again I don't blame you for that.

And the line about back seat legroom and lack of head rests had me on the floor.

The Hollywood movie mistakes have NOTHING to do with the car.

Ford did not market this car to Bullitt movie fans or Steve McQueen fans, those people can just buy a poster and be happy.

This car was built for people that wanted a V8 and that was a little different than the regular Mustang GT, something with a few extras.

I could go on but why? You guys like the Subaru WRX. Try explaining to the Casio guy why you like your Rolex, forget it you can't do it.

Your quote "The Bullitt is a fun toy, but would you want to live with it every day?" YES you idiot we would. GOD forbid somebody that wants to have fun every day.

Seeya

Going out to have some fun in the every day Bullitt #388

PS: that noise you hear is the wife and kids setting in your Subaru WRX. My Bullitt has left the parking lot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm convinced, I am going to go trade in my Bullitt for a Lexus. :wink: The Impreza WRX is not a bad little car, if it wasn't so butt-ugly I might have seriously considered getting one instead of the Bullitt, especially given all the rain we get here. They aren't really in the same class though. A 4 cylinder 4wd with 217 lb-ft of torque vs a V-8 2wd with 315, 2 door coupe vs 4 door sedan. The whole apples vs. oranges thing. It is obvious the guy has no business reviewing cars it is just his opinion on what kind of cars he likes. He was probably writing articles on dot com bankruptcies last week.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here's what I wrote. I'm off to pick up my new Lexus.:smile:

After reading your review of the Bullitt Mustang, I felt compelled to write in & comment. First, the Bullitt is a 2001 model, not a 2002 as you stated & is not available in steel gray, but True Blue. Also, the 0-60 time you quoted as 6.5 seconds is a full second slower than a stock 2000 GT (according to Ford literature). I won't comment on your reviewer's road test, everyone has their own opinions as to how a car handles & performs. But how can you honestly offer as a better buy the Subaru WRX. Mr. Franks really needs a lesson in reality; as a Bullitt owner, I wouldn't even consider a Subaru or a Lexus or an Integra. The Mustang (& especially the Bullitt) conjures up a certain link with the past & none of those other cars have that same mystique. Not that they aren't better performers in their own right, but the Bullitt has much more character than any of those vehicles. That's the type of person who buys a Bullitt, not someone looking for an average, ordinary daily driver.
In closing, I can recall at least one other review by Mr. Franks (I think he wrote it) & I have this advice: leave the big words & fancy phrases out of your write-up. They're better suited for actual journalistic articles, not car reviews & road tests. Doing so makes it appear as if you are trying to impress readers with your vocabulary skills & not your actual thoughts about the car.
Thanks for listening, -Josh

01 Bullitt #1697
94 Caprice 9C1
85 Mustang GT
80 F250
70 Monte Carlo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rancorkeeper on 2001-06-23 15:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
pretty funny (and insulting) review. I am that "20something" buyer he keeps refering to, and yeah Bullitt came out 8 years before I was born. In fact, I bought the Bullitt without having even seen the movie. That should not really come as a surprise, though, as there is so much more to the car than just paying homage to the movie. I am not going to bother sending my thoughts to the author though. Afterall, Forbes isn't necessarily known for their car reviews. It would be kinda like scolding John Williams for writing a bad play.

"So why did this 20something person get a Bullitt?", you ask? Let's see. It was time for a new car. I like Mustangs. I was thrilled that Ford actually produced it (I loved the concept). I like the package.

(Oh, and I have bought a copy of Bullitt on DVD, and I do plan to watch it.)

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Well I may as well add my 2 cents.. I sent a letter off to him as well.. I also copied the editor just for grins.. The text will speak for itself..

Mustang Bullitt..

After reading your review of the new Mustang Bullitt on Forbes online the only word I can think of to describe what I’ve read is “shocked”.

You seem to have no idea what this car is about much less who the target Audience is. Your facts are so horribly flawed that I can’t believe this was allowed to be released. First of all.. The Bullitt is a 2001 and not a 2002. The Color “Steel Grey” doesn’t exist in Ford’s lineup. The Color options are Dark Highland Green, Black and True Blue. True Blue is a metallic dark blue bearing no resemblance whatsoever to Grey, Steel Grey, Gun Metal grey or any other Grey up to and including Blue-Grey.

You’ve done your readers a great disservice by publishing this article in its current form. This car is far more refined than the regular GT and some would say even the Cobra. Your estimation of it’s performance is over a full second off. According to Ford the GT is rated 0-60 in 5.4 seconds the Bullitt in 5.3 and the Cobra in 5.2 seconds respectively. Where did you get your information? Obviously not from anyone within Ford nor according to anyone who’s actually tested this car. The Bullitt also runs the ¼ mile in 13.6 seconds @ 100+ mph. A car that runs 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, as you claim, would never come close to touching that number.

The target buyer for this car would consider a WRX as likely as gouging out his own eyes. Your choices and the cars you chose to compare the Mustang to blatantly show your bias to the import car segment. As with such a bias you could never give this car a fair shake. You should never have been assigned to do this article. With your blatant bias you would be better suited to testing the new Acura’s and Lexus sport convertibles. You could never, and will never understand the appeal of cars like the Mustang, the Camaro, Corvette or the Viper.

This is not meant to be a negative slam to your person. You are just so hopelessly out of touch with the people this car is intended to appeal to that you couldn’t understand or appreciate what this car has to offer.

Everywhere, I, and other members of our various boards go, get compliments on these cars. The seats in this car are the finest ever installed in a Mustang. And your claim that the only adjustment the seats have are “rake” is, again, incorrect. The seats are 8 way power adjustable seats with an inflatable lumbar adjustment.

This is the best handling and performing GT that Ford has ever produced. The suspension is comprised of Tokico shocks and Struts.. Not the MacPherson units you erroneously (again) said it was equipped with. In fact, through your entire review, the only facts you have straight, are the engine displacement, price and that Steve McQueen starred in the movie.

Also.. Ford’s target audience for the Mustang is NOT 20 something Males. In fact most Mustang buyers are 20 something women. The V6 Mustang outsells the V8 Mustang by a very large margin. That being said, the V8 Mustang appeals to a crowd that would NEVER consider an Acura, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, or any other import car as a performance replacement. The WRX is a much slower car than the Bullitt, it’s seats are FAR more uncomfortable, it’s interior isn’t anywhere near as nicely laid out. The gearbox in the WRX is a nicer unit than the Mustangs and the WRX is indeed, weird looking. And as to where I got my facts about the WRX, I’ve driven 3 of them and one is owned by a co-worker.

In closing I have only these comments. I am, obviously, disappointed by your review as are a great many other people who know far more about these cars than you do. Your bias toward the import segment should have ruled out your being assigned to this review as you couldn’t give this car a fair comparison. And, finally, the Charger lost 5 hubcaps, the Mustang Fastback used didn’t have a “Cowl” and the Charger tried to “Outrace” the Mustang not the other way around. You need to watch the movie again to get your facts straight. I can loan you my copy. I have 2.

Steve Davlantis
[email protected]
Moderator http://www.bullittclub.com

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-06-23 18:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
I am not going to bother sending my thoughts to the author though. Afterall, Forbes isn't necessarily known for their car reviews. It would be kinda like scolding John Williams for writing a bad play.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I stand corrected. It may not be futile, afterall. Excellent response Blakwing

1,169 Posts
I to sent Michael Freak opps i mean Frank an email today.
I just made corrections about the BULLITT and told him he has lost his creditability on the review since he did not have his facts RIGHT.

I like the letters that were sent in by you guys.

P.S. I have learned not to trust anyone with two first NAMES!!! :-B

GSCA #3535
BCA #36858
2001 BULLITT #1042 DHG
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Conv. 4 Speed
1965 Bucik Skylark Gran Sport Conv. Auto

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT #1042 (Ray Ackerman) on 2001-06-23 19:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
60 Posts
The following is my letter to Mr. Frank.

Dear Mr. Frank,
I'm sure that by now you've received numerous complaints about your errata strewn review of the Ford Mustang Bullitt. I'll spare you additional embarrassment and cut to the chase (pun intended). This car is about automotive legend, specifically, the Mustang heritage and the awesome driving experience that, in the opinion of many, is special to the Mustang Bullitt. The Bullitt transcends demographic analysis, but I'll give you a hint as to the target market for this car. It is for the individual who "Gets it," and you either get it, or you don't. I got it - Bullitt #2526. You were correct when you said that it is a fun car to drive. So much fun, in fact, that I have put my 1995 Range Rover County Classic up for sale. In the end, there'll be 6500 of us who get it, bought it and love it. You'll find many of us at the Bullitt Club forum. I suggest that you drop by at http://www.bullittclub.com and do some research. Based on the gross and frequent errors in your review of this fine car, you obviously can use some accurate information.

R. Lindsay Wilson a.k.a. "Bullet"

·
Registered
610 Posts
You all have pretty much said it all!If I did a job this sloppy for my customers ,I'd get my butt kicked 3 ways from next week! Forget the personal bias this is just incompetant work!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I love you guys! sob, sob. sniff, sniff. I could not have said it better. Also glad to see that someone invited mr. Franks to our club for a looksy. This may help enlighten him as to the intent and feeling that the car provides for those of us not interested in spending gobs more money on refinement and not performance. Have you driven a BMW lately? MY brother-in-law purchased a Z3 and it is so under performanced for the price, typical BMW. And for Porche, they just started adding the performance for the money about a decade ago, plus they increased the price some more. Anyway your my kinda people, I love ya man.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm not even going to begin stating how horrendous that article was. My response would be full of cuss words in every size and format!! I was just looking around for something to destroy in my rage...the computer moniter looked tempting, but I with-held. :smile: Good thing, eh?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Way to go Bullittheads!!!! Man I dont know if I should join the fray in bashing the reviewer or not, seeing that all of you have done such a Fine job. But hey facts are facts and like was said he doesn't have a clue. Keep up the great work! In my opinion the Bullitt speaks for itself! I have comment after comment on how nice the car is and its not like I go out of my way looking for them! Of course keepin it all nice and shiny might help :smile: Well Like I said keep up the great work see u soon ! Thanx Havgun! # 1676 900 miles and counting

·
Registered
693 Posts
I read the article and got me really upset , I really wanted a Bullitt mustang
I could not purchase a Bullitt because still have 8 months on my 99GT lease
Any way!!
what can you expect from a guy that rather drive a Subaru then a mustang?
Nerveless can’t get the Year of a car right!!!

“altered suspension, though rough if you hit so much as a pebble in the road”
I gest he should be driving a Cadillac!

"has "special" quilted leather seats that are still too soft"
I would kill to have theses seats in my 99GT(mine came without leather)

“but the powerful brakes are difficult to modulate”
Excuse me!!!! I always tough modulation was use to prevent lock up brakesin panic situation?
it gest it is hard to modulate ABS assisted brake!!!

“The Bullitt is a fun toy, but would you want to live with it every day?”
I must be stupid I have been driving nothing but mustangs for the past 20 years
Since 1993 I have been driving a 93 5.0 coupe, 95 GT and now a 99GT all year around (through winter storms also!!)

to all mustang Bullitt howners
kept burning rubber and enjoiy your cars

HOPE FORD will do a 2002 MACH I!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 99gt on 2001-06-24 19:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
You know, we are probably taking this too seriously. After all, the Bullitt got a favorable write up in Playboy. Who would you rather hang with on a Saturday night, Hugh Hefner or Steve Forbes? :wink:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is my email response to the Forbes article,

It seems that your couple of minutes with the Bullitt gives you the insight to the true characteristics of this automobile!. Its hard to convince a rice burner lover that anything that's not a ricer doesn't compare. That's just plain ignorant! Compare a mustang with a Subaru! What a joke to pull on the public that could decide on what to buy because of your one sided opinion. Compare....you need a turbo to get 227hp vs. a naturally aspirated 275hp engine. Let me add a turbo and I'm over 400hp. Mine dynode at 276hp. Handling...For the money vs. many of your top performers from Europe, I'll take my Bullitt. Six weeks behind the wheel, and my Bullitt outperforms my 1996 Cobra and more. Brakes and suspension...right from the Cobra. Check the Specs! Not bad for $27,000. As far as the seats, I have driven many cars including ricers and Europe's best and these seats are more comfortable and snug as any over priced Recaro on the market. Furthermore, I have a family car for driving my family around for more than two people. Before writing a report like this, check all the facts. Simple stuff, like the colors even! Dark Highland Green, True Blue or Black.
The facts...just the facts.....please!
SUBARU.........give us a BREAK!
We may have won World War II, but they're buying our country right out from underneath us. How's that for revenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts