Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my B in to have the tranny rebuilt (following TSB concerning 2-3 upshift grind)... And my car still has the same problem. At this point it is drivable- but it's really bothering me and my B only has 3500 miles on it- so I'd like a properly working transmission.

Long story short- the dealership I went to claims there is nothing they can do until Ford issues some type of fix for this, so it looks like I am stuck with this problem unless I shell money out of pocket to have the tranny upgraded to a 6spd or Ford finally figures out a fix.

Can someone tell me what step is next to get my relatively new car working properly? Is there a Ford complaint line that would actually yeild results? Does this issue qualify under some lemon law? I'm all out of ideas- and really don't want to get rid of my B nor upgrade the tranny at this time- but this issue is annoying to say the least.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm surprised to hear this issuse is with the 08-09 models too. Had no idea. It's really sad that Ford or Tremmec just can't get it together.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave and Julie said:
That information is in the owners manual. There should be a phone number in there.
I should have guessed there would be a phone number in there, but in all seriousness I doubt calling a complaint line will amount to anything. For an issue that has been going on for several years now with no fixes since, I'm sure people have called to no avail. That said- I'll give it a shot to at least be that one additional person, but I'm not holding out any hope on getting results from it.

I guess I am looking for more of a technical phone number where a Ford rep or whomever can assist me with which next steps to take until it is fixed as opposed to a general complaint line. Thanks tho.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Keep taking it in for the problem. Then start filling for the lemon laws. When you start the procedure they will be more incline to fix the problem because they don't want to have to take the vehicle back. Check your state lemon laws to see how many times it has to be in for the same repair before it is considered a lemon. My brother in law had done it for an a/c problem and ford ended up replacing the whole system to fix the problem instead of taking the vehicle back. You have to make sure that the vehicle has a service writeup every time you take it in, even if they don't do anything to it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This seems to be a common but none-the-less hit or miss problem. I would demand a new transmission, hoping you will get one that does not have the problem. IMO that's the least they could do to TRY to remedy the situation, ya know?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bullitt 736 said:
This isn't for the 05+. It is for the 01-03.
Yeah same tranny- but the updated TSB for the 05-08's is TSB 080906A which can be found in another thread. Already gave the dealership both TSB's before they started the work, but it did absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
DrRickso said:
Yeah same tranny- but the updated TSB for the 05-08's is TSB 080906A which can be found in another thread. Already gave the dealership both TSB's before they started the work, but it did absolutely nothing.

Hmm,

Wow, I ordered an 08 Bullitt recently and just had it delivered to a dealer near my home. I love the car, but having researched this issue extensively within the last few days I can say that I'm very apprehensive about completing the deal.

Currently, I'm looking at the Ford TSB #080906A, and after having read it, I'm just amazed Ford has let this problem continue. The issue with this particular transmission "TR 3650" reared it's ugly head back in 01 in the GT's & Bullitt's as stated by another member here and confirmed by Stangnet.com. Since that time, I've read from other owners of SGT's, GT's and now 08 Bullitt's who have experienced the same problem: Synchronizers:doubt:

To say the least, I'm very disappointed at this news and I'm at a loss. Even if I have the work covered under warrenty after I purchase the car, do I want the hassle associated with it??? Your thoughts are appreciated!!:confused:

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
HUNTMAN-USA said:
Hmm,

Wow, I ordered an 08 Bullitt recently and just had it delivered to a dealer near my home. I love the car, but having researched this issue extensively within the last few days I can say that I'm very apprehensive about completing the deal.

Currently, I'm looking at the Ford TSB #080906A, and after having read it, I'm just amazed Ford has let this problem continue. The issue with this particular transmission "TR 3650" reared it's ugly head back in 01 in the GT's & Bullitt's as stated by another member here and confirmed by Stangnet.com. Since that time, I've read from other owners of SGT's, GT's and now 08 Bullitt's who have experienced the same problem: Synchronizers:doubt:

To say the least, I'm very disappointed at this news and I'm at a loss. Even if I have the work covered under warrenty after I purchase the car, do I want the hassle associated with it??? Your thoughts are appreciated!!:confused:

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
It should be noted, though - that the Majority of the cars do NOT have any issues. I have no 3rd-gear-grind issues with 2954 (knock on wood!) - and it's been driven in sub-freezing temps already. But, I DO shift "easily" until the car has several miles on it and the transmission has had a chance to warm-up a bit, even when the weather was warm. I also have the tendency to "skip shift" from say 2nd to 4th, or even 5th - depending on my speed. Probably one of the reasons I get mileage in the mid-20s, even with a bit of "stop-N-go".

BTW: Welcome to IMBOC.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Welcome Huntman.....don't let this change your mind.

I can also say I have had no issues with my Transmission. Actually this has to be the smoothest shifting transmission and shifter I have ever owned and the clutch is equally as smooth. I have owned manual shift vehicles since the 60s, so that is saying a lot. (Well in thinking back, I seem to remember a Corvette that had an very nice shift to it, so I will reword it and say one of the best I have ever owned. The clutch is without a doubt the best.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
JackDW - 852 said:
Welcome Huntman.....don't let this change your mind.

I can also say I have had no issues with my Transmission. Actually this has to be the smoothest shifting transmission and shifter I have ever owned and the clutch is equally as smooth. I have owned manual shift vehicles since the 60s, so that is saying a lot. (Well in thinking back, I seem to remember a Corvette that had an very nice shift to it, so I will reword it and say one of the best I have ever owned. The clutch is without a doubt the best.)

Appreciate it,

I know you all (We) work hard for are $$$ and want to have piece of mind when we're cruising, speeding, or waiting at a stop light. I know any vehicle is far from perfect (I'm not a perfectist) so I'll be doing some real hard "THINKING." The Bullitt is quite a ride and I'm sure the majority of the owners here are happy; that's what counts!

I cannot find any vehicle in the Bullitt's class that can match it dollar for dollar & performance and looks...

I'll be speaking with the dealer today and let you all know. Thank you for the warm greetings!!! :smile:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
HUNTMAN-USA said:
Hmm,

Don't let this dissuade you. This car is something special, and thus far this is about the only widespread build quality flaw that has reared its head - and it's something Ford will fix if it surfaces.

Get the car, and then enjoy the heck out of it. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, Well,

As I type this note, my brand new 08 "Bullitt" is parked in my driveway. Ya hooooo!!!I'm glad I took the plunge. The Bullitt is special and as low profile as a muscle car can get; I love that aspect!

I've spent many years looking for a vehicle like this and finally Ford built it. Being only 3 years old when the movie came out, I can say that when I grew up through the 70's I appreciated what the movie had to offer, and it was at that point that I absolutely fell in love with McQueen's 390 fastback. Ford did a great job recreating the current Bullitt from the original and I see many happy miles ahead! I look forward to speaking with you all and sharing experiences about our Bullitts.

Pictures to follow...:wink:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
HUNTMAN-USA said:
Hmm,

Don't be apprehensive. Many of us have not had the problem, and hopefully won't.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just bought mine used and just noticed the "third gear grind" it has done it twice in a week...and only when its cold. I agree with what someone stated earlier that I shouldnt have this problem on a new car. So this would not be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Rico#890 said:
I just bought mine used and just noticed the "third gear grind" it has done it twice in a week...and only when its cold. I agree with what someone stated earlier that I shouldnt have this problem on a new car. So this would not be covered under warranty?
yes if it's the transmission and not shifting technique, it would be under warranty.

Some people found the problem was their own, 'pushing' the lever into gear instead of guiding it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts