Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford finally recognizes the demand for specialty cars (for good looks and performance) and then falls short on both. Don't get me wrong- I love my green bullitt- but what about the side scoops??????? And what exclusivity? The rims are an option on the GT, the hood scoop is the same as a GT, the rear bumper cover is the same as all - reading MUSTANG (except COBRA- of course), and the serialized # is merely a sticker. And as far as what does come on the Bullitt "exclusively"- is also all available to be purchased and added onto a "want to be" Bullitt. And horsepower???? C'mon guys- you could have done BETTER!!!!
Posted

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
And there isn't a single piece for the Cobra that you can't buy and slap on to/in to a GT. Or even the Cobra R for that matter. In fact there hasn't been a car produced in the history of cars that can't be replicated in some way or another with simple, or not so simple, add on parts.
What you do have is the genuine article. And beyond the cosmetic exterior differences, you have the seats, the gauges, the shifter and the door sills. Mechanically you have Tokico shocks and struts as opposed to the McPhereson's, sub-frame connectors, a ride height lowered almost an inch all around, the special exhaust, underdrive pullies, the Ford Racing intake, a Cobra Spec alternator, the Cobra's Brembo brakes with painted calipers and the knowledge that you have all this great stuff with a full factory warranty behind it.
So.. while all these parts are available to the run-of-the mill Mustang owner you'll never be able to duplicate a Bullitt for the low cost that Ford gives it to us, nor will you have the factory behind it for repair reasons.
Sorry you're less than happy with your Bullitt but there are a great many of us here that LOVE our cars.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Which is exactly why I bought a Bullitt. I know that it is fun and all to mod your car, but I have been doing this for years and figured that I might as well have most of it factory done. Besides, I couldn't find the right lowering springs. Most drop the car too much but this setup on the Bullitt seems just right and it handles superbly!

Paul G.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jeez- here we go again. Let's stop worrying about this s***! When I saw the Bullitt as a concept car I promised myself that if Ford ever produced it, I'd buy one. They did and I did! I'm quoting Macstang (from the '01 Cobra board) when I say, "when you buy cars like this you buy with the heart". Couldn't be truer. Even looking at that concept Mach I, I salivate, but I don't have one second of regret about buying about the Bullitt. It's the car I had been waiting for for twenty years! It's a great car. it looks mean (I'm still looking for an after-market black grill to make it look meaner), sounds great, and goes like snot. Let's just worry about a good location we can all get together and have a good party!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
VERY well said you guys!!
could i be happier? probably. but hell that applies to any aspect of life
but do i STILL have a s**t eating grin on my face EVERY time i drive my Bullitt? you bet your ass i do! every single time!!!!!!!!
i have no issues with Ford except that Quality on the production line in Dearborn seems to be VERY haphazard and not too important

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just got back from a Mustang and Ford show yesterday (the CatSmashin green monster Bullitt took third place in participant choice and we showed up after the balloting was supposed to have been closed - but that is another story).
There was a guy there who had taken a '66 and turned it into a Shelby GT350H. There were no Shelby tag, and his handywork and display stuff covered up where the VINs would be. The car looked really nice, but it was an obvious fake. I talked to him a little and he wasn't the warmest guy in the world. He finished our short converstion with "I gotta go see if I won something" and walked off. He didn't win anything.
Moral of the story - Don't sweat the fakes to follow. Our hobby is too full of savy and intellegent (re nerds) types to let that become a problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Right on Bullittheads! Hey, Nasty, I'll hoist a beer today in your general direction (south). We'll do our toast 'long distance'. May as well do that right now.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just think ford should have given everyone the horse power we deserve!!!!!
Job (1) don't make me laugh !

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Yes,anyone,with a lot of determination,can build a clone Bullitt. BUT they would never have the feeling and emotional high I had when I picked it up at the dealer,all brand new and looking good!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
From what I've been reading, I don't think Team Mustang missed their mark. If the leaks from Dearborn are even partially true, the Bullitt in it's original tune outperformed the famous 2000 Cobra R. What would you expect if you took a 4.6L 2V engine and dressed it up with Cobra and Lightning parts? Yeah that's right - take a look at the 2001 Lightning's intake. Look Familiar?

CAFE and emissions had nothing to do with it. A limited production run would not have enough impact on Ford's CAFE for them to worry. 5000 or 6500 Bullitts in the scheme of 10's of millions of vehicles would have a miniscule weighted average. Same goes for emisssions. Ford didn't have any problem with the above mentioned Cobra R or even its current Cobras.

It appears that Ford Corporate abandoned its loyal Mustang fans to prserve some internal heirarchy with SVT on top. I'll be glad if and when SVT departs and is replaced by SVE that is supposed to contribute to the entire product line. Remember, Ford Corporate asked its dealers to contact customers with standing Bullitt orders and advise us of the HP reduction. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm still waiting for my call 4 weeks after taking delivery of my Bullitt.

If you're reading this Ford Corporate, I'd like my 300+ HP back please.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey Beamstang, I was just thinking that smoked headlight covers and a blacked out grill would make the Bullitt look meaner than mean from the front. Let me know if you find a source for the grill. I mean one that is all black with no coral or pony. I will put the original in a box for that day when I come to my senses.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I ordered pre-cut plastic film fro my lenses from Griots garage. It's 40 mil material and supposedly will take a pellett rifle shot without damage to the lense. Can't tell it's there if you go back to the pics of my car.

Brian

·
Registered
220 Posts
Catsmasher: Try http://grillcraft.com/

If that doesn't give you what you're looking for. let me know. There is also California Mustang (?) but I don't think Calif. Mustang offers it in black. Yeh, blacked out headlights would be a good touch, too!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Hmmmm someone is stretching the HP story a bit! NO way could the 4.6 Bullitt,without any supercharger,and the best intake you could design,out run the 5.4 Cobra R engine. Remember,you only have 281 cubes to play with,and no intake or cam,that is streetable,is going to give you an extra 100 HP. 275-300 possible is all I can see out of it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow, ask and ye shall receive.
You guys are a great resource - it would have taken me a long time to find that grill. It is great to have a group like this where we can share ideas and save each other a lot of hassles. More time to schmoop around in our froopymobiles.

Sniff, I love you guys!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey 408. To bad the Team Mustang guys or Ford Corporate doesn't come clean with the whole truth. If I correctly interpret what Art Hyde told me, his TM guys weren't running the tests, and they were SHOCKED when they got the numbers back. Sounds like someone at FC is playing games.

Personally, I think 335 HP is quite possible with our engines and their mods without forced air. I think that's the point. More HP than the Cobra and more amenities, AC, stereo, etc. than the Cobra R. More total value to the customer and an embarrassment to SVT.

I haven't found the detune secret yet, but I'm still digging.

Maybe Art and his guys need to dig out one of their old engine test brakes and hook it to a Bullitt engine, then publish the real SAE flywheel HP and torque. That would end the discussion. Or, they could just call us in and retune our engines to the original spec.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I remember seeing something from Ford on the tech side of the 4.6 when it came out in the 91/92 Crown Vics/Grand Marquis that the 4.6 was capable of 100hp per litre. They didn't say if that was normally aspirated or not or in the 2v or 4v seting. Just makes you wonder what could be if Ford just said the hell with it and wanted to finally show what they can do. At the time this came out I was working at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership and what I read was directly from Ford. That's why I've been upset with Ford since they put the 4.6 into the Mustang and it still is out powered by GM. But if they can sell all that they can build they way it is now, then who can blame them.
Cam

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,069 Posts
Nasty, it was probably COBRA_N_BULLITT. Remember he got fired from the factory for letting out too much info?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts