Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Green Moose up on ramps this week and noticed that there was absolutely no surface rust on the driveshaft whatsoever, whereas there was plenty on all the other exposed steel parts (including some that had been missed by the Ziebarting process, which I will be bringing up with my dealer)...
I was preoccupied with the suspension install at the time so I really didn't think any more about it though I did think it was strange...

Just came across this on the TMS Boards:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=478929

Have Ford changed to a 2-pc alloy driveshaft and not bothered to tell anyone? Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
We need to find out more about this. If our cars already have a lightweight driveshaft, I certainly won't be buying an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Have you tried to stick a magnet on it to rule out at least a stock aluminum shaft? Ford has used them on quite a few things for more than a decade, you'd think maybe we got one stock. I haven't had a chance to get under mine yet to look.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
My driveshaft was heavy and rusted.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
I have a notion that it is the same dride shaft in all the Bullitts (2008/2009).

And the two-piece is very heavy .........

The "Dynotech" Aluminum Drive Shaft I had installed was 1/2 that weight.

Terry

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dangit'...now I have to put mine back up on the ramps to check this out.

Regardless, the 2 piece design sucks despite what it's made of and I still can't believe Ford did it initially and even more amazing is that they haven't fixed it in subsequent years!

I do electrical engineering, not mechanical, but I am pretty sure I could of come up with something better than the current design over a weekend!

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
The difference between my OEM 2 piece driveshaft and my aluminum driveshaft is 40lbs.
The diff end of the driveshaft still rusted though:(

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
either way, it's still 2 piece...not what I would want.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Lance said:
Dangit'...now I have to put mine back up on the ramps to check this out.

Regardless, the 2 piece design sucks despite what it's made of and I still can't believe Ford did it initially and even more amazing is that they haven't fixed it in subsequent years!

I do electrical engineering, not mechanical, but I am pretty sure I could of come up with something better than the current design over a weekend!
Don't be to harsh on Ford. It's made by FORD and it has to be better than anything else out there! Just asked anyone here!
I though big 2 piece driveshafts,were for big long wheel base trucks and school buses!
I don't know what they were thinking, trying to go for efficientcy thru the drivetrain. You don't do that with a 40 lb. driveshaft!

·
Registered
73 Posts
LOL, I'm takin' it easy on Ford...I love my Bullitt, it just has some flaws...

For example----> and this was a lose/win situation, still not sure how it's going to turn out...

I got downright owned by a GIRL in a car I had never heard of until today (both the girl and the car).
She was kind enough to pull over after my spanking to talk a bit, she drove like Danica Patrick but I'd be lieing if I said she looked as good, not bad though, and she is a MD so who am I to judge.

Anyhow, turns out it it was some kind of Datsun...LOL...Nissan called a GTR or something like that...I thought it was a 350Z which I have raced and beat before.

Whatever it was, it has some serious power but bottom line is that I got her number and maybe she will let me drive it!

Sorry to get off topic but it WAS one of the most interesting afternoons in my life.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Lance said:
LOL, I'm takin' it easy on Ford...I love my Bullitt, it just has some flaws...

For example----> and this was a lose/win situation, still not sure how it's going to turn out...

I got downright owned by a GIRL in a car I had never heard of until today (both the girl and the car).
She was kind enough to pull over after my spanking to talk a bit, she drove like Danica Patrick but I'd be lieing if I said she looked as good, not bad though, and she is a MD so who am I to judge.

Anyhow, turns out it it was some kind of Datsun...LOL...Nissan called a GTR or something like that...I thought it was a 350Z which I have raced and beat before.

Whatever it was, it has some serious power but bottom line is that I got her number and maybe she will let me drive it!

Sorry to get off topic but it WAS one of the most interesting afternoons in my life.
Lance,

Bad choice for a Race :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

That was a 2009 GTR:

Dyno Test: 2009 Nissan GT-R Makes 507 Horsepower... at least!

Well, You got the Phone Number though :clap: :clap: :clap:

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
20 Posts
wow, those cars are rare and very expensive. i would have no problem just seeing the back end of that car on the street.

tigerhonaker said:
Lance,

Bad choice for a Race :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

That was a 2009 GTR:

Dyno Test: 2009 Nissan GT-R Makes 507 Horsepower... at least!

Well, You got the Phone Number though :clap: :clap: :clap:

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lambo said:
A woman driving a GTR might have been Danica Patrick, they sell for about $80,000 and are serious bad ass cars.

Nah, I've seen enough pics of her to know if it was her...LOL

Funny thing is that it looked nothing like the pics posted above...basically it looked liked what I thought was a 350Z with mods and it was silver/grey.

And no, she didn't spank me completely, we were in traffic most of the time...it wasn't till we got an open road that she pulled on me like a BigWheel vs a tricycle!!!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Lance said:
Nah, I've seen enough pics of her to know if it was her...LOL

Funny thing is that it looked nothing like the pics posted above...basically it looked liked what I thought was a 350Z with mods and it was silver/grey.

And no, she didn't spank me completely, we were in traffic most of the time...it wasn't till we got an open road that she pulled on me like a BigWheel vs a tricycle!!!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
do a little research on their transmission problems

·
Registered
969 Posts
my factory 2 piece driveshaft is a rusty old bastage now. the thing about it though is that the factory 2 piece never made any noise or caused any vibrations and i drove it up to 145 mph. now my one piece drive shaft is vibration free up to about 130 or so mph.

i got to cruise along side and admire a silver gtr on the interstate one day. the gtr came up on me doing about 10 mph more than i was. i didn't know what it was at first until i moved over to the right lane and watched it roll on by. there was a guy in the passenger seat and a girl driving. they looked like teenagers. i was suprised at how similar the size of the gtr was to my bullitt. it was a really pretty car up close. there was alot of traffic and horseplay just didn't make sense to me. i really wasn't in the mood for a spanking that day anyway. HA!

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
They only offer an automatic with steering wheel paddle shift in the GTR.
Ferrari has gone the same route. The F1 cars, unless the rules changed, have strictly automatic paddle shifters too. A computer has to control shifts with this 10,000 rpm rice burner, but as rblack4405 stated they have bugs.
rblack4405 said:
do a little research on their transmission problems

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK...crawled underneath with a fridge-magnet and it doesn't stick...it's alloy...the end-peices are steel as they are visibly coated with surface-rust...

My car was built in April 2008...

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I have no vibration with my Aluminum drive shaft.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts