Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a ford racing 62mm throttle body. Is this bolt in and go part or do I "Need" to get the car tuned? This will be my last power upgrade. Car currently has headers and exhaust. No tune yet.

·
Registered
898 Posts
From when I was having some tuning stuff done they said the throttle body needs a tune, and switching throttle bodies required a complete tune re-write compared to some other mods that might not. I'm not sure if that's 100% true but thats what they told me.

If you're going through the trouble of a tune, and already have headers and exhaust you may want to consider the charge motion delete plates, or Ford Racing intake. From what I've read/seen with non boosted cars it mostly helps with higher RPM running but if you're tearing up some canyons you're probably mostly in the higher RPM range. I recently installed the FR intake and while I am boosted I noticed a huge improvement in throttle response without the control valves. My intake had them built in, which I think they started in 09. But making this change will need a tune also so it could make sense to pay for the tune once.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From when I was having some tuning stuff done they said the throttle body needs a tune, and switching throttle bodies required a complete tune re-write compared to some other mods that might not. I'm not sure if that's 100% true but thats what they told me.

If you're going through the trouble of a tune, and already have headers and exhaust you may want to consider the charge motion delete plates, or Ford Racing intake. From what I've read/seen with non boosted cars it mostly helps with higher RPM running but if you're tearing up some canyons you're probably mostly in the higher RPM range. I recently installed the FR intake and while I am boosted I noticed a huge improvement in throttle response without the control valves. My intake had them built in, which I think they started in 09. But making this change will need a tune also so it could make sense to pay for the tune once.
From what I read online, the ford racing manifold is either love it or hate it part on a N/A car. If I have more mods done such as cams, UD pulleys and delete plates like you said, the manifold will make sense but I don’t think I will go that far. I like to keep mods simple and have stock like driveability on all my cars. Lower end torque is important for me. I will discuss this with my mechanic and the tuner and report back.

·
Registered
2008 HG Bullitt Mustang
200 Posts
You'll need a tune for the throttle body for sure. Car will be sucking too much air and will throw a limp code.

Also, the FRPP intake manifold is more of a looks thing to me than anything unless you're boosted. Youll definitely be robbed of low end torque with it but gain more upper end.

Buddy of mine did the hot rod cams, FRPP manifold and UDP and he still lost low end. So do with that info as you will.

Just an FYI, if you're doing say steeda delete plates (also tune required) either do those, or the FRPP intake manifold as the FRPP manifold already comes without the plates/flaps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are right. I made an another bad purchase :/

My mechanic and tuner both told me this TB will only benefit me if the car is boosted by KB or Whipple on high boost. On Centrifugal, Manifold+TB. I won't gain anything from bigger TB on N/A car at all since the stock 55mm is plenty. This will end up in the swap meet. I was hoping this TB will give me at least 5hp. SMH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts