Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a email today from none other than Art Hyde, Mustang Chief Program Engineer, in response to an email I sent FOrd regarding our announced horsepower deficit. This looks like this will be the Ford party line. I have attached the email below. I did send him the URL address to the dyno run of Bullitt #680 on the club website and also a copy of the page from the brochure stating the 275HP rating. I wrote him that the dyno results make it appear the cars are producing more than they thought but would forward him more dyno results as they become available. Will be interesting to see the response.

<<We have done extensive horsepower checks which has confirmed that horsepower of the Bullitt engine at the crankshaft is 265 per SAE procedure. This is the level reflected in all our introductory information. At the rear wheels we would expect you to see 220+ HP after driveline losses.

What horsepower are you getting? How was the test run?

Art Hyde
Mustang Chief Program Engineer
Ford North American Car>>

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry.. Art's email got clipped. Here it is:

We have done extensive horsepower checks which has confirmed that horsepower of the Bullitt engine at the crankshaft is 265 per SAE procedure. This is the level reflected in all our introductory information. At the rear wheels we would expect you to see 220+ HP after driveline losses.

What horsepower are you getting? How was the test run?

Art Hyde
Ford North American Car

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the 2nd response to my email back to him:
To: [email protected] ('[email protected]')

At the early stage, our target was to achieve 275HP. We spec'd out hardware to achieve it, but in the end, we did not make it in our SAE power tests. We could only got 265. We had a choice: we could delay the start of production while we sorted out what was wrong with our test results or we could go to market (advertising the lower HP number). Because we were meeting our vehicle performance targets (5.7 sec 0-60) and we had nearly 4000 orders for the car at the time, we decided to go to market. This seemed better than to make everyone wait for what was probably a ghost.

At the time you bought your car, you should have been told about the 265. We wanted everyone to have a chance to "opt" out of their order before buying the car if they so chose.

Thanks for the weblink. I would like to hear how your car baselines out. What do you plan to do with it from here?

Art Hyde
Ford North American Car

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
has ANYONE from Ford ever given us our final "real world" torque figures???????????
i've never seen any. just the figures from the guys who dyno'd their cars

anyone????

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the final explanation from Art:
[email protected] (Hyde, Arthur (A.S.))
To: [email protected] ('[email protected]')

It's not so simple. Due to emissions reasons, we can not build Bullitts after August 2001. Because the effort it would take to redevelop the engine, to delay would have effectively killed the vehicle altogether. Which course of action would have better satisfied customers?

We did provide VERY explicit instructions to EVERY dealer about the HP situation to avoid just the scenario you shared with me. Our appologies that you were not given the information & option to bow-out.

I am glad you like your car anyway. The chassis upgrades you are considering will really make it fun.

Art Hyde
Ford North American Car

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
so am i to understand that they wiil stop production of Bullitts sometime towards the end of August no matter how many orders they have yet to fill out of the supposed build quantity of 6500??????????????

still would like to know if ANYbody has an official torque figure FROM FORD???????

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds to me that the emissions certification onour engine expires in August so I guess that means no more made after that time. :???:

Brian

·
Registered
103 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-06-05 15:12, mystang99 wrote:
so am i to understand that they wiil stop production of Bullitts sometime towards the end of August no matter how many orders they have yet to fill out of the supposed build quantity of 6500??????????????

still would like to know if ANYbody has an official torque figure FROM FORD???????

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> 315ft/lbs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts