Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
It seems that this may loom in the distance as a fix for the cold engine knocking noise (at least it has been discussed as a possible fix) so my curiosity is peaked.
What parts would need to be replaced with forged internals in order to get rid of the knocking?
Forged internals are normally used to beef up for power adders, right? I'm not interested in supercharging.
Who does this kind of work in the Southwest and how much $$$?
Do you think the day would come where this type "fix" would be paid by Ford under warranty?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Typically forged pistons are noisier than hyperutectic ones, so I doubt this will yield the result you are looking for. As for Ford footing the bill for parts they don't make, I would highly doubt it. But I have been wrong before. As for cost, forged kits including pistons/rods/rings/bearings are usually in the $1500 range, built shortblocks are in the $3000 range.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Tim, you are correct. Typically forged pistons are louder(when cold) than hypereutectic pistons because they run a "looser" tolerance because they expand more as the engine gets to operating temp. Don't expect anything like that from Ford

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-12-31 19:59 ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts