Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we should be knocking down Team Mustangs door about the trans "CLUNK"! You all know the "CLUNK" i'm talking about just about all of us have it!

If the "CLUNK" is normal my next new car will be a Z06 or a Viper or Buick BlackHawk!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,784 Posts
Good point Ray, there is no reason a new transmission should have a clunk to it when shifting gears, not with todays technology and tolerances. They really do need to come up with a fix and get out to all who have this trans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
my '89 toyota pickup makes the same sound. my mechanic says it's because the rear differential is worn to the point that there's play between the point of contact between the drive shaft and the rear differential. for those that added an aluminum driveshaft, does your bullitt do the clunk thing?
 
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's rediculas!!! Ever bullitt that i'll seen in person have a BIG "CLUNK" when you go from neutral to first.But if you shift at high rpm's it's not that noticable. It's a shame! I think the Cobras have the same problem!
I have seen 6 Bullitts in person.One a friend was on a test drive at Sam Galloway Ford and the trans locked up! Bullitt #1999 DHG. It's sad!!
 
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-22 23:33, bullitt196 wrote:
my '89 toyota pickup makes the same sound. my mechanic says it's because the rear differential is worn to the point that there's play between the point of contact between the drive shaft and the rear differential. for those that added an aluminum driveshaft, does your bullitt do the clunk thing?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I hear ya 196 but i don't think we should have to replace our drive shafts!
 
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-22 23:36, Green Bullitt wrote:
Welcome to the joy of the Tremec trans.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Can you shed some light on the "CLUNK" thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Before working for Ford I worked at a Mustang speed shop here in California. I installed several Tremec tranys, and they each felt weird compared to the T5. They are stiffer to shift, and clunks are somewhat normal. But, they are able to withstand a lot of torque and horsepower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
I must be the only lucky one with no clunk. I did check ALL the bolts on my car after reading the many posts about loose ones. All where tight that I could get to. While I was under there I noticed the transmission is bolted to the bell housing from inside the bell housing! Looks like if you want to do any work on these you're in for a real fun time removing everything in one piece. I know I'm an old fart but when did they start doing this?
 
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-22 23:47, Green Bullitt wrote:
Before working for Ford I worked at a Mustang speed shop here in California. I installed several Tremec tranys, and they each felt weird compared to the T5. They are stiffer to shift, and clunks are somewhat normal. But, they are able to withstand a lot of torque and horsepower.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for the info. it's just hard living with the "CLUNK"
 
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-22 23:47, hblattel wrote:
I must be the only lucky one with no clunk. I did check ALL the bolts on my car after reading the many posts about loose ones. All where tight that I could get to. While I was under there I noticed the transmission is bolted to the bell housing from inside the bell housing! Looks like if you want to do any work on these you're in for a real fun time removing everything in one piece. I know I'm an old fart but when did they start doing this?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Something to think about.... If the "CLUNK" is normal and you don't have it maybe you have a problem? (just a thought)
 
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-22 23:59, Green Bullitt wrote:
Some clunk, some don't. Don't stress so much. Just drive the heck out of it!
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I sure do! Until it's F-ound O-n R-oad D-ead... :-B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,455 Posts
I haven't noticed a clunck that your talking about, but I've noticed it on past mustangs that I've owned. I sure hope Ford rectifies this problem becouse it doesn't look good for a 2001 mustang to have these problems.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I've had my Bullitt for two months and so far no clunk. It shifts smooth and no noises. Guess I got lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
No clunk here either! Although I must say after driving my other vehicle ( 5 speed F-250 Turbo Diesel), I guess anything would be quiet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Ray, I am with you on this one. I was hoping my post titled "Paging FordInsider1" would shed some light on the solution to this problem. UPS will deliver my aluminum driveshaft today. Will try to get it installed over the weekend and report the results. I agree...if that solves the problem like some say it does then we should get aluminum driveshafts on a Ford recall. I've not had this problem on previous mustangs. If it was half as loud of a clunk I could live with it. This is not normal. I feel better now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Had my #2879 for +/- 6 weeks. No clunks. Just have interior pieces that were not installed well and coming loose. I have repaired myself to date.

I hate that so many Bullitt owner are having problems. This is a great car. I had a '90 GT and there is no comparison. The '90 went 95,000 miles with only the notorious Ford A/C problems. Even had original clutch when traded and it was not babied. This makes my fifth Ford since '89 and all have been good vehicles. I currently have a '99 GMC Z-71 that is the biggest POS I have ever owned. Over 15 warranty repairs to date. Steering shaft replace three (3) times due to design/manuf. defect. GM can't or won't fix. Will never, ever buy any GM product again.

I'll stick with Ford and hope my Bullitt doesn't develop the "clunk".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I have no "Clunk", tight as can be. I did hear the ticking noise, I feel it is injector noise. Just my opinion but I don't feel it is a problem. I will be listening for the clunk though, is there any thing else we should be worried about?
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top