Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When someone comes back from the dyno, and they have their results in the dyno sheet, since the dyno pull was most likely done at the rear wheels, then...
What is the correct formula to compute RWHP to Engine HP?
Is this formula also applicable to Torque?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If you figure a 15% loss for the drive train:

RWHP/.85=CHP

If your dyno says 234 RWHP, then 234/.85=275.2 at the crank.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thanks Dillo Dave, I guess most people have dynoed around 235-240 RWHP, so indeed the 275 HP originally advertised is true. Does FoMoCo tend to lower their HP? The Bullitt has been advertised at dealerships at 265 HP, so is this number published to keep it conservative for insurance purposes perhaps? Was it because the '99 Cobra problem on disclosing a higher than real HP before the fix was done?

Anyone?

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I would think that the powerloss was more along the lines of 12.8 or so. This is what I've been told. So, if you were to compute 240rwhp, it turns out to be around 275hp, assuming a 13% powerloss. But I guess only a pro shop or FOMOCO would really know.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The Cobra plus Mazda got in big trouble for over advertising the HP of the Miata by 5 HP. So I'd say Ford played it safe by stating 265 when it's really closer to 275.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
You know,when I plug my speed and ET,plus the known weight of the car as raced,into the various HP calculators,in books and on the web sites,it always comes up around 274 HP at the flywheel!! 14.11 at 99.8 mph stock,with lots of wheel spin. So I guess that is real deal on the Horsepower mystery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts