Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trading in my Bullitt to accomodate the family, I've decided to make my own Bullitt tribute car on a Fox platform. It will be a 5.0 Bullitt 89-93. The Fox Stangs were available in "Dark Emerald Jewel Green", which, IMHO looks very similar to Dark Highland Green (like my old Bullitt). Does anyone know where I can see paint chips to see how close these colors are?

The plan for the Fox Bullitt is to start with a GT. Replace the interior with black leather (using TMI's Mach 1 retro leather covers). Tastefully complement the interior with billet accessories similar to the 2001. Convert to a 5 lug set up and put 2001 Bullitt wheels on the car. Lower the car 1". Add subframe connectors and upgrade swaybars, connecting arms and bushings. Add a "heat extractor hood" (looks most like the 68 hood. Add four-wheel disc brakes with red powdercoated calipers. Ultimately, the goal is to produce a car that pays respect to the original movie car as well as the 2001 model that I loved.

I expect to have the foundation car by Summer 08 and the car should be substantially complete by 2010. Should be interesting.

Thoughts?? Suggestions??

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Go For It .... :clap:

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I have 17 inch bullitt wheels on my black 88gt hatchback

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
My wife bought a 1991 5.0 LX coupe,in that color. Was a nice looking machine,but in 1993 we traded for a larger Crown Vic.
While you are building the car,swap in a 351W,stroked out to 393 cubes. Then you can give plenty of grief to the new Bullitts!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the notchback version. Very nice. However, I think mine will be a hatch. The original Bullitt was a GT and a fastback, so I am leaning that way.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Another quick thought, you might consider a bubble back Capri as the fastback on the 68 ends at the trunk lid lip. If you use the bubble back, it does the same thing. Ends at the trunk/hatchback lip...

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Suggestion: Put a 5.4 or larger, (BULLITT movie car = 390 c.i.)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I was going to say the amount of money you will spend you could probably get another BULLITT. But if you never owned a foxbody you must try one. I have a 87 GT and love it. That color is pretty rare if I remember, they only made it a few years if that. You may have to buy any year and paint it DHG, the capri bubble hatch is a great idea from david, just put the mustang front on it.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Ouch! The Mustang front on a Capri is going to raise the ire of every four eyed fanatic. IMHO, the Capri front end looks more Mustang than the Mustang. Actually it was the design study done by the Mercury group design team in competition with the Ford group design team for the new 79 Mustang! The Ford design team lost the challenge and upper management at the time said that the Mercury design was not progressive enough, or some similar BS and overuled the judges decison! So, the Mustang from 79 on is really the loosing design! The Capri, is actually the winning design! Similar thing happened with the Mustang II. Except that it is the Mercury design groups winning design. Just trivia.

If I can find the reference on that in the next couple of days, I'll post it up. Interesting read, but it's been several years since I found that tid bit of info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts