Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how hard it is to install it on our cars. Something you can do in an afternoon in the driveway? Instructions didn't look that hard but I have been fooled before. :redface:

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
chilli bullitt said:
Was wondering how hard it is to install it on our cars. Something you can do in an afternoon in the driveway? Instructions didn't look that hard but I have been fooled before. :redface:
Will Fitted one over here on #4823
I will see if he posted a "How to" thread

·
Registered
899 Posts
It was easy, just make sure you've got a puller....

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hello Cam,
I bought a puller from a local Kragen. I had to put it on a grinder so the jaws of the puller would fit right.
Also used a steel hex nut in between the puller and the steering shaft so the puller wouldn't damage the threads of the steering shaft bolt hole.
You need a T-50 torx bit.
A little bit of penetrating oil spray like PB Blaster or whatever your favorite brand is really helped me.
When you get it done you will really notice the difference. Just more fun to drive IMHO.
Good luck.
R/T.J.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think i just used a 2 legged puller from what I can remember. I have seen in auto stores you can buy a dedicated steering wheel puller for about $15. It wasn't hard to fit.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may try to get it put on tomorrow afternoon if I can keep the baby from trying to tear the house down. His crawling/starting to walk definately keeps me busy. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
What is the difference between the FR500 and ours.
The FR500 is way thiker. It honestly feels very nice. So much better than a stock one. One of the nicest invetments youll make.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
chilli bullitt said:
You might want to check out the MustangWorld web site. They have some real good instructions with good pics on installing this steering wheel.

I made a set of their ramps. Gonna try them out soon. :~))

www.mustangworld.com

·
Registered
663 Posts
I was a Ford tech for about 12 years. We NEVER used steering wheel pullers. We got the air bag out, loosened the steering wheel mounting bolt.. but DO NOT take it all the way out.. and then pulled on the wheel while rocking it side to side, left to right. It will pop off loose on the shaft, and stop when it hits the bolt head. You then take the bolt all the way out, remove the wheel, and transfer all the cruise buttons and horn switch stuff to the new wheel.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Green Bullitt said:
I was a Ford tech for about 12 years. We NEVER used steering wheel pullers. We got the air bag out, loosened the steering wheel mounting bolt.. but DO NOT take it all the way out.. and then pulled on the wheel while rocking it side to side, left to right. It will pop off losse on the shaft, and stop when it hits the bolt head. You then take the bolt all the way out, remove the wheel, and transfer all the cruise buttons and horn switch stuff to the new wheel.
Too easy... Been wanting one of these... hmmm, best place to get this from..??

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
magnum347 said:
Too easy... Been wanting one of these... hmmm, best place to get this from..??
I got mine from another member when he sold his Bullitt and had some stuff sitting around the garage he never put on the car. I am pretty sure you can get them through Ford Racing and you may be able to find them at other retailers ( and possibly cheaper) if you look around.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Green Bullitt said:
I was a Ford tech for about 12 years. We NEVER used steering wheel pullers. We got the air bag out, loosened the steering wheel mounting bolt.. but DO NOT take it all the way out.. and then pulled on the wheel while rocking it side to side, left to right. It will pop off losse on the shaft, and stop when it hits the bolt head. You then take the bolt all the way out, remove the wheel, and transfer all the cruise buttons and horn switch stuff to the new wheel.
i agree im teching now and we never use pullers. just do as stated above and get to yankin...some of the guys look like ****ed apes in a cage doing so :D

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, tried the "twist and shout" method and all I got was alot of twisting and shouting. Ran into a buddy who had a puller and it popped off in about 2 minutes from start to finish with the puller vs. an hour the other way. I have to get some pics of it on. Looks and feels GREAT!! And the airbag didn't go off in my face!!! :clap:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Here is a pic of mine. Like the feel and extra padding. Minimum grip fatigue during long sessions on the track. Very worth while mod. Used a puller to make the switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I know that the FR500 steering wheel is thicker than ours, but is it also more 'dense'?

For example, the leather steering wheel on my Cadillac CTS is thicker and MUCH more dense than my Bullitt's. There is no "squishiness" at ALL! It feels so much better.

Much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts