Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not so much a modification as an accessory, I suppose. I put on the latest version of Craig's Custom Bracket for the '18+ Mustangs. I have to use front plates in OH but don't want to drill the front fascia and attach the OEM plate holder. I had one on my '15 Mustang GT, and even when I had some issues with it, I got great support from the seller. He revised his design and materials to ensure he offered a quality product that worked.

The first step is to attach the mounting base (uses 3M VHB double-sided tape) and let it cure for 2 days. I had to heat up the mounting area and the base with a hair dryer since it was right at the minimum temperature for the tape. After washing, there's an alcohol prep and adhesive starter to use on the area where the base goes. Today, I put the plate on. Hopefully you can see from the last shot how the two rubber stops bring stability to the plate staying in place.

For the record, I have removed the base from my '15 bumper two times to replace them and had no damage to the paint finish. I highly recommend this product if you prefer the front plate to be in the standard location as opposed to mounted on the lower front.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Tony. Been trying to find a quality one that mounts the plate in the factory location. Much appreciate you sharing this. Ordered. Very reasonable shipping direct to Canada too.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Very nice...clean looking piece!

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
A tip of my hat to you guys...alas, the dealership had punched the holes on my '09 when it was new...grrr!

·
Administrator
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OHIO has rescinded its draconian front license plate requirement. Effective July 1, 2020
They have indeed. However, I am so used to the plate being on the front, I just kept it in place - hahaha!

·
BULLITT In The Chamber
79 Posts
Looks like a nice clean design and installation. I may get one for the '08 if I need to, but the front has never been drilled for a plate. :)

·
Administrator
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like a nice clean design and installation. I may get one for the '08 if I need to, but the front has never been drilled for a plate. :)
For the '01 and '08-'09s, they are actually clamp-on holders because the design of the front bumper covers allow for that. I have them on my '01 and '09. I am a big fan of these bracket systems, regardless if they are clamp-on or stick-on :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is the best bracket I've seen. However, it seems to block the lower grille a considerable amount. Don't know how much it affects cooling in hot climates. I live in a front plate state (TX), and have never installed a front plate in over 30 years. But it's a PITA to travel in TX, where troopers are only looking for excuses to pull people over. Last time I traveled to Austin they pulled me over twice within 5 miles, and lost over 1/2-hr.

The good news is with that bracket, I could just remove the plate (along with the thumb wheel) when not traveling, and it shouldn't look too bad on dark green. Or probably just have the plate in the trunk and install it if pulled over ( :)). It'd just be a matter of making sure the bracket is touching in all 4 rubber bumpers, so it doesn't get unglued at high speeds due to the strip having stress as the bracket is bent. Hey Tony, does it hold okay at high speeds? Thx.

·
Administrator
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had the car up to 90mph, and yes, it holds there. I believe Craig tested it for higher speeds. It's a pretty secure design for normal usage. Regarding cooling, the lower grille is restricted about as much as it would be with the stock plate holder. The perspective and angle of my photo makes it looks worse than it is. And yes, with the plate off, it's not super noticable just to have the mounting stud visible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts