Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to the local tuner today and got the tune put in 0038. Numbers are in and we are VERY happy with the results! Video's below, tried to get the fuel air ratio in the video but the glare didn't let it show. However it was a nice solid 12.9 all the way through the run. So what are the gains you ask? Well took the car a while back for a baseline run. It made a respectable 276RWHP and 289RWTQ. NOT ANY MORE! The results you ask??????

344.8 RWHP that is a 68RWHP increase
342 RWTQ that is a 62 ft/lb increase

the best part is the torque jumped up to 310 RWTQ by 2650rpm

I could not be happier!

<embed src="http://p.webshots.com/flash/smallplayer.swf?videoFile=http://videoserve.webshots.com/video/29222/3064186190104521563mxPDnb_v_0.flv&audio=on&displayImagePreview=http://videothumb23.webshots.com/thumb/29222/3064186190104521563mxPDnbstill_002_0.jpg&videoPageUrl=http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3064186190104521563mxPDnb&autoPlay=false&shareLink=http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/personalize?photoId=3064186190104521563%26source=v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" quality="best" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed><br/><br/><a href="http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3064186190104521563mxPDnb">MOV033_WMV V9.wmv</a>

<embed src="http://p.webshots.com/flash/smallplayer.swf?videoFile=http://videoserve.webshots.com/video/28090/3028746340104521563HTPFwt_v_0.flv&audio=on&displayImagePreview=http://videothumb11.webshots.com/thumb/28090/3028746340104521563HTPFwtstill_002_0.jpg&videoPageUrl=http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3028746340104521563HTPFwt&autoPlay=false&shareLink=http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/personalize?photoId=3028746340104521563%26source=v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" quality="best" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed><br/><br/><a href="http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3028746340104521563HTPFwt">MOV035_WMV V9.wmv</a>

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wow!! I am totally impressed with your dyno pull. You have the exact set-up I want for my Bullitt. What other mods do you have besides Ford Hot Rod cams/Headers?? Killer numbers for sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is all! Just the cams, longtube headers offroad H-pipe and a tune. I can not believe how well the car responded to the mods. Drives me crazy in a way, it's only 18RWHP shy of my supercharged 01. I am pretty sure that I could easily top 350 with a set of underdrive pullies and maybe a charge motion delete set up, However not sure if I want to do the charge motion delete. I can't wait for the roads to dry up around here so I can get into it and see how it feels.

·
Registered
901 Posts
PX Junior that is just crazy HP with those mods. I agree about not going the charge motion route unless you go with a blower or nitrous. When you are making that kind of torque down low I wouldn't mess with it. In June or July I'm going with the same set-up
off road pipe using RPM's Long Tubes all stainless & the Ford Hot Rod cam's. Just think what the UD pulley & a electric water pump will do. Not to mention a lighter aluminum drive-shaft. You got another 30 plus HP worth of bolt-on's. SCT tuner? Great report!!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Why not the charge motion route, it will make more HP on the top end.

·
Registered
901 Posts
He would give up some of that 310 lb lbs at 2650 rpm's. It takes a cheater tune to make the motor like them at lower rpm's. These motors are already needing torque in the lower range rpm's and spend more time there. I am just going off of what Travis Franklin at Gear Heads told me & he sell's them. He said if you are NA not to waste my money. They do look cool. I like the Steeda one's that come tapped for direct port nitrous nozzles. I am still a nitrous junkie at heart after running it on everything the last 15 years. They look real good for that. Nitrous makes torque a non-issue since it brings loads of it too the table. Yah the old butter flys in the stock intake are sure ugly.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Blindmelon said:
He would give up some of that 310 lb lbs at 2650 rpm's. It takes a cheater tune to make the motor like them at lower rpm's. These motors are already needing torque in the lower range rpm's and spend more time there. I am just going off of what Travis Franklin at Gear Heads told me & he sell's them. He said if you are NA not to waste my money. They do look cool. I like the Steeda one's that come tapped for direct port nitrous nozzles. I am still a nitrous junkie at heart after running it on everything the last 15 years. They look real good for that. Nitrous makes torque a non-issue since it brings loads of it too the table. Yah the old butter flys in the stock intake are sure ugly.
I agree,

I think this car is missing torque at the bottom end. My thinking is probably skewed based on too many years ridng a Harley.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
cpd0924 said:
Why not the charge motion route, it will make more HP on the top end.
said very well above already, but this is a daily driver and I don't want to loose any low end torque, (below 2600) I just think it would hurt on launches (normal driving launches) too much for what I would gain on the top end.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Great numbers,Jeff!!! I think my buddy will like what you have done,and will do the same to his 2007 GT....guess who will be turning those wrenches!
Yeah,it would take the new TFS 2V heads,cams and headers to get the '01 Bullitts to that level,as the power of any engine will be determined by the cylinder head.
Is that video,of your Bullitt after the cam install, still around here?
Now for the fun part.. Will you take a run down the VMP strip,to see how it runs?
I have some fresh mounted Sticky Mickeys ready to wreck havoc on your driveline!!

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I can't wait tell I get my own Hot Rod cams, did you install them your self?

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
PX Junior said:
That is all! Just the cams, longtube headers offroad H-pipe and a tune. I can not believe how well the car responded to the mods. Drives me crazy in a way, it's only 18RWHP shy of my supercharged 01. I am pretty sure that I could easily top 350 with a set of underdrive pullies and maybe a charge motion delete set up, However not sure if I want to do the charge motion delete. I can't wait for the roads to dry up around here so I can get into it and see how it feels.
Very Nice indeed :clap: :bigguns: :clap:

Great Results from these Mods ............

Congrats on a fine Report Card .............

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Great report! I'm a N/A guy and I always thought superchargers and blowers were cheater tricks. So to see this increase from headers and cams is great! :exclaim:

So 345rwhp at 15% loss thru the drivetrain equals about 405hp at the flywheel right? WOW! :cool:

PS: do underdrive pulleys affect the functioning of any systems? (A/C, alternator charging, cabin fan speeds...)

·
Registered
267 Posts
cdynaco said:
Great report! I'm a N/A guy and I always thought superchargers and blowers were cheater tricks. So to see this increase from headers and cams is great! :exclaim:

So 345rwhp at 15% loss thru the drivetrain equals about 405hp at the flywheel right? WOW! :cool:

PS: do underdrive pulleys affect the functioning of any systems? (A/C, alternator charging, cabin fan speeds...)
Underdrive pulleys reduce parasitic acccessory drag on the engine

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BlackPony said:
I can't wait tell I get my own Hot Rod cams, did you install them your self?
Yes I did do the install myself. I keep saying that I am going to do a write up to put in the 08/09 archive but I have not actually done so yet. I need to find me a set of instructions and just add in the important lessons learned. The cam install was not as hard as the header install if you can believe that. I went the extra mile and took the front cover off (it can be done without it but I wanted to make SURE the timing was right) it was worth the peace of mind for the extra time for me anyway. With a full day and a good friend to help when you need more than two hands a good torque wrench and the ability to read directions ( lets not forget patients ) it is not a bad mod for a gearhead. And the resulting lope is enough to make you smile EVERY time you start the car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cdynaco said:

Yes your numbers are correct, I had not run them yet but I like the outcome!:smile:

as far as underdrive pulleys go, I have never run them so I am unsure how it would affect the accessories, I might have to find out though, It would give me a good reason to spend some quality time with that RUSTY UGLY balancer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mus408 said:
Great numbers,Jeff!!! I think my buddy will like what you have done,and will do the same to his 2007 GT....guess who will be turning those wrenches!
Yeah,it would take the new TFS 2V heads,cams and headers to get the '01 Bullitts to that level,as the power of any engine will be determined by the cylinder head.
Is that video,of your Bullitt after the cam install, still around here?
Now for the fun part.. Will you take a run down the VMP strip,to see how it runs?
I have some fresh mounted Sticky Mickeys ready to wreck havoc on your driveline!!
My driving skills suck at the track. I love going, I love running the car but I (just being honest here) suck at it, I just can't control my adrenaline when I pull up to those lights!:lol: Will that stop me from taking it down the track NO, not sure when I might get to a track to run it, was thinking about paying the ridiculous price at Fun Ford Weekend this year but that ain't gonna happen since they shutdown.:doubt: I bet that you could still beat me in your 01 but I would love to run ya just the same!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
PX Junior said:
Yes your numbers are correct, I had not run them yet but I like the outcome!:smile:

as far as underdrive pulleys go, I have never run them so I am unsure how it would affect the accessories, I might have to find out though, It would give me a good reason to spend some quality time with that RUSTY UGLY balancer.
Well I've read about many going to UDP's but I'm curious if there is a noticeable affect on the accessories.

Suppose you're on a rainy night with rear defrost on, headlights on, heater/defrost blower on high... When you pull up to a stoplight with turn signal blinking and the engine goes to idle, do the heaglights dim and does the blower slow???

If there are no noticeable affects frpm UDP's you'd think Ford would use them from the factory for an extra 10hp braggin' rights. :confused:

I did a cam job once years ago. Very rewarding to do it yourself!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I just drove 0038 on dry roads and all I can say is the smile, I didn't think could get bigger, DID!
I have officially woke up a beast! I am beside myself!

·
Registered
156 Posts
cdynaco said:
Well I've read about many going to UDP's but I'm curious if there is a noticeable affect on the accessories.

Suppose you're on a rainy night with rear defrost on, headlights on, heater/defrost blower on high... When you pull up to a stoplight with turn signal blinking and the engine goes to idle, do the heaglights dim and does the blower slow???

If there are no noticeable affects frpm UDP's you'd think Ford would use them from the factory for an extra 10hp braggin' rights. :confused:

I did a cam job once years ago. Very rewarding to do it yourself!
UDP's (Steeda) drop the accessory speeds by 25% but the water pump pulley is sped back up with a larger pully. In general, no one has noticed any problems and I definately did not.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
PX Junior said:
Yes I did do the install myself. I keep saying that I am going to do a write up to put in the 08/09 archive but I have not actually done so yet. I need to find me a set of instructions and just add in the important lessons learned. The cam install was not as hard as the header install if you can believe that. I went the extra mile and took the front cover off (it can be done without it but I wanted to make SURE the timing was right) it was worth the peace of mind for the extra time for me anyway. With a full day and a good friend to help when you need more than two hands a good torque wrench and the ability to read directions ( lets not forget patients ) it is not a bad mod for a gearhead. And the resulting lope is enough to make you smile EVERY time you start the car.
PX,

Nothing like that Ole-Time-lopey-60's Idle ..........

Glad you are having fun with your Bullitt and it's New Cams (Lopey Cams) :lol: :lol: :lol:

tigerhonaker

1 - 20 of 27 Posts