Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that is MUSIC to my ears!

<embed src="http://p.webshots.com/flash/smallplayer.swf?videoFile=http://videoserve.webshots.com/video/27113/3008112640104521563mcvfSI_v_0.flv&audio=on&displayImagePreview=http://videothumb34.webshots.com/thumb/27113/3008112640104521563mcvfSIstill_002_0.jpg&videoPageUrl=http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3008112640104521563mcvfSI&autoPlay=false&shareLink=http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/personalize?photoId=3008112640104521563%26source=v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" quality="best" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed><br/><br/><a href="http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3008112640104521563mcvfSI">MOV0A7_mpeg2video_001.mpg</a>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Sounds great! So that install was an easy task? Any problems timing the cams?
I guess it is easier in the new Mustangs,because of more room around the engine,than the 2001?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learned a few lessons during this install that would make the next one a LOT easier. I could probably do the job in about 6hrs now that I have made all the mistakes and learned from them already. Easy? I would say moderate. There is A LOT MORE ROOM under the hood of the 08 than there is under the hood 01. All in all VERY worth it!

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I love them. They really sound good in person. This was part of our Christmas presents to each other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed the front cover, I was told that the wedge tool tends to slip allowing the timing to get off! I wanted NOTHING to do with that! I think it was well worth the time to remove the cover! Yes a tune is needed to get the most out of the cams, I am however holding off on the tune until I get the Long tubes installed (well I guess I need to buy them still also). I hope the combo of tune, high flow cats, long tube headers, and cams will get me close to the same RWHP that 2180 has (it is as you known supercharged). I hope!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
BlueBullitt2180 said:
I love them. They really sound good in person. This was part of our Christmas presents to each other.
Gail,

You & the Hubby have the FRPP (Hot Rod Cams) installed in your Bullitt ???????????

If You get some time bring me up to date on your New Cams as of Christmas 2008.

I'm interested and I am pretty sure I "Missed" your Thread back when You guys did that.

Man, I Hate when I miss really Cool Threads and yours would be one of them.

So, you all went with the FRPP (Hot Rod Cams) versus the "Thumpr" Comp Cams ????

Interesting..........

Terry aka "tigerhonaker"

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
PX Junior said:
I removed the front cover, I was told that the wedge tool tends to slip allowing the timing to get off! I wanted NOTHING to do with that! I think it was well worth the time to remove the cover! Yes a tune is needed to get the most out of the cams, I am however holding off on the tune until I get the Long tubes installed (well I guess I need to buy them still also). I hope the combo of tune, high flow cats, long tube headers, and cams will get me close to the same RWHP that 2180 has (it is as you known supercharged). I hope!
I recall reading a very long Thread on the FRPP (Hot Rod Cams) in another Forum and just as

a Heads-Up that fellow worked with Bama for the tune. It sounded Great and from the way

the Thread went after the Bama Tune was Straightened out it ran really good.

I, back some time ago ask BRENSPEED about the FRPP (Hot Rod Cams) if they were going

to sell them and offer Their Custom Tune ????

They (BRENSPEED) was "NOT" going to sell them.

They (BRENSPEED) work Very Close with Comp Cams and back then I was told to Chill for a

bit as Comp Cams was going to introduce their own 60's-70's Cams for that Pro-Stock sound.

As we know, Comp Cams introduced the "Thumpr" and that is the rest of the Story.

I mention BRENSPEED here because they do an Excellent job with their Custom Tune but

I don't know how things would be with them if one installed the FRPP (Hot Rod Cams) and

wanted to get Their Custom Tune from (BRENSPEED).

Just never did ask that question after Comp came out with the "Thumpr".

Your Bullitt sounds just Super though..........

As I recall it does (Require) the Custom Tune to Run Correct for Maximum Power out put.

Thanks, for Sharing the Video as it Always-Always puts a Smile on My-Face hearing those

Cool sounding Cams........

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
We told everyone that if they were buying us a gift for Christmas to get us MRT gift certificates. They did, and with a few more bucks we had enough to order the cams. They came last Friday and we spent the week reviewing the service manual and getting a few supplies. Jeff is going to work on a write up with pics and put that on www.08bullittarchive.com soon. We both listened to the FRPP and Comp cams for a while before deciding that we prefer the FRPP sound. Once the long tubes are bought and installed we are going to take 0038 to our trusted tuner www.dtpracing.com. Brent tuned 2180 and did a very nice job.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tigerhonaker said:
Gail,

You & the Hubby have the FRPP (Hot Rod Cams) installed in your Bullitt ???????????

If You get some time bring me up to date on your New Cams as of Christmas 2008.

I'm interested and I am pretty sure I "Missed" your Thread back when You guys did that.

Man, I Hate when I miss really Cool Threads and yours would be one of them.

So, you all went with the FRPP (Hot Rod Cams) versus the "Thumpr" Comp Cams ????

Interesting..........

Terry aka "tigerhonaker"
Tiger,

PX Junior is Gail and I. It is our alter ego set up to mess with PY, Cochese, PX, Sweet Baby James, Collin, ETC

I (Jeff right now) Installed the cams this weekend.

Now to talk about your other post

I did not do a custom tune YET. The car runs just as good today as it did before I installed the cams so a tune is NOT required for the car to run right. Yes to get the MOST out of the cams a tune is needed. But for now I have the awesome feel and sound from the cams and when it is time for the tune well it will just wake the car up that much more!:smile:

From everything I read BRENSPEED does not (plan) on doing a tune for the FRPP cams because they worked with Comp Cams (and there must be some kind of deal there like Pepsi with certain restaurants and Coke with others, no solid proof of that but it is what I surmise from the research I did).

·
Registered
127 Posts
How is the low end torque now that you installed the cams? I've heard there is some loss there.
Also, did you put in the delete plates with the cams?

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
No noticeable difference on the low end torque at this point and he did not put in the delete plates.

·
Registered
127 Posts
OK, Thanks.
I've been contemplating the cams but I hear so many things it's hard to make a decision. It seems the more you inquire about things the worse it gets.
I have an opportunity to buy a used Vortech V2 with about 5000 miles on it. But I wanted to do the cam, deletes, exhaust, pulleys, etc.
Kinda up in the air about what to do. Afraid to rip apart a brand new motor. Hard to find people who can do that kinda work or that I would trust.

·
Registered
309 Posts
BlueBullitt,
When you install the long tubes won't you have to lose the stock H Pipe? If so what are your plans to deal with the loss?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, we will have to lose the stock H-pipe. We plan on sticking with an H pipe like the sound of it better than an X-pipe. I thought for a long time that I might opt for the offroad but have just about decided to go ahead and stick with high flow cats instead.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
cophawk. Brenspeed for you. I have the mods installed that you want, very happy with them. You would not be sorry. Need any info let me know. JOHN

1 - 20 of 36 Posts