Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Gail ordered the cams for HG0038 from MRT Friday and they are well on their way to getting here. I have been told that I can install the cams without a tune which is what I intend to do. (just for now) Of course I will take lots of pictures and attempt to do some sort of a write up as I go along. We got a base line dyno run already and plan to check the cams (with no tune) and then of course another dyno run after each mod.

The Cams should be here Tuesday and I think I will put them in next weekend as long as I can find the special tools locally and not have to special order them.

I can't wait!

Going in plan is

FRPP Hot Rod cams
dyno
Long tube headers (not sure of the brand yet suggestions welcomed)
of course h-pipe to match the headers
dyno
tune
dyno
and the final piece of the puzzle
Magna Charger (fits under the brace, Will be able to keep the Bullitt CAI and love the sound)
dyno

But lets not get ahead of ourselves!

Cams are on the way I Absolutely can not wait to hear it after the install!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Please share your experience with the install of these cams. It's something I am planning on doing to 2922. I tapped a local shop for installation charges and the quoted $900, which I think is way too much. Luckily I have an uncle who is a certified mechanic at a local Ford Dealership so I plan on asking for his help.

·
Car Whisperer
21,574 Posts
if those installed at ford by ford, do they void the warranty...asking for a friend that has s GT/CS.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly not sure about the warrenty question. I would think you would need to ask a Ford service department that question and if they say it would not void the warrenty let them do the work and then take it back to them if you ever have any warrenty work that needs to be done.

·
Car Whisperer
21,574 Posts
he tried that at Brandon Ford which is probably the most high performance oriented Ford dealer in the area and they did not even know anything about the thumper cams and immediately said that cams would void the warranty. did not sound like they knew enough to make a decision like that.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long ago did he ask? I have a performance parts dealer here that had not heard of them 2 months ago. I think it is just a matter of time. Also don't forget the Thumper cams are a product of Comp Cams, The Ford version is the Hot Rod cams. Not that I think that made a bit of difference when he ask. Maybe he could help to educate them. I don't think the Hot Rod cams are listed in this years FRPP catalog but maybe they will be in the new one since they have become so popular. Maybe when the new catalog comes out he could then ask about them while being able to point to them in a Ford catalog. Who would have believed 5 years ago that Ford would warrenty a dealer installed supercharger?

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
The part number for the Ford FRPP Hot Rod Cams is M-6550-3V if that helps.

·
Car Whisperer
21,574 Posts
Thanx!!!! He just asked last week.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I think you should also purchase the delete plates and ud pullys. I had brenspeed install cams cam phasers. pullys and delete plates. It took 4.5 hours. I did need the 93 octane tune. Good Luck and be Safe. JOHN

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
So you are going to do the install at home? I guess the cam install is similar to a 2V install,plus dealing with the cam gear adjusters.

Good luck with the install!
I know that if you get the 3V 4.6 Hot Rod crate engine from Ford,which has those cams,there is no engine warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to do the install myself! At home, no! I am going up to the auto hobby shop on base where I will have plenty of tools a warn building and a lift (not that I think I will need it for this job). The lift in these cams are only 1mm more than stock cams. I also have a very good Ford service manual and I am pretty dang good with my hands and have a very high mechanical aptitude, so I am not that worried about doing it myself! Might take me just a little longer to do, than someone that does it all the time, other than that I can do just as good a job probably a better one!

·
Car Whisperer
21,574 Posts
so you know then pics and a write is a must!!! which one are they going in?

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I know pics, write-up, and even video is required!

They are going in the 08.

I am really looking forward to doing this job! If for no other reason so I can let all the people that are so afraid that I might screw it up know I am a lot smarter than I look. Of course that's not hard :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPS was busy over the long weekend! THATS A GOOD THING! Now I can be busy this weekend!

I just need to go and pick up a couple of new cam sprocket bolts since they are one time use bolts!
I can't wait to hear them! I can't wait to spend some great quality time with 0038!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cams are in and all I can say is WOW does the Bullitt sound GOOD with them! I will start a new thread with the video tomorrow since no one is following this thread! I did not take as many pictures as I should of because I was trying to get the job done today! I did and I am pretty dang sure it was the best 10 hours of my life! They sound like pure music to my ears!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.