Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all my fellow bullitt heads out there i am in need of some knowledge and expertese regarding the hot rod cams my 1st question is after installing the cams can the car be driven with out a tune and no damage or riskto the engine also do these cams require the install of th cam phasers, also can i do cams on my completely stock motor i have no exhaust or intake the engine is completely stock thanks in advance!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Bullitt5752 said:
hello to all my fellow bullitt heads out there i am in need of some knowledge and expertese regarding the hot rod cams my 1st question is after installing the cams can the car be driven with out a tune and no damage or riskto the engine also do these cams require the install of th cam phasers, also can i do cams on my completely stock motor i have no exhaust or intake the engine is completely stock thanks in advance!
JC,

One of the members here has already installed the Ford Hot Rod Cams and Did-Not do a Custom Tune.

For best (Results) they recommend the Custom Tune though.

NO, you Do-Not need Cam Phasers with the Ford Hot Rod Cams.

Those (Cam Phasers) are used with the Comp Cam Thumpr.

You can install those Cams in a Stock Bullitt.

But they Recommend FRPP 4:10 Gears and FRPP Shorty Headers plus the Custom Tune for (Maximum Performance).

Here is the Thread you need to Read !!!!!!!!

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166187&highlight=ford+hot+rod+cams

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
The custom tune is not needed but recommended. The phase limiters are also not necessary. We installed the hot rod cams in 0038 and drove for over a month with no problems as we were waiting for the long tube headers to be installed before taking it for the dyno runs and custum tune. We were pretty easy on the car prior to the tune but didn't notice any problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS FOR THE PROMPT RESPONSE GUYS I WAS ORIGINALY going to do the comp thumprs but its more money all in all when you buy the phasers so im leaning more towards the hot rods

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
JC, If you are planning on a blower install re-think the cams . They are not compatable with a forced air system.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thumprs

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have another question im also looking to do long tube headers i came across a set of pypes ceramic long tube headers with an off road x pipe for 650.00 it almost sounds to good to be true has anyone ever dealt or heard of anyone using these headers also i was on rpm outlet looking around and came across a brand of headers called moto blue they are ceramic coated and come with a resonated x pipe all for under 500.00 anyone heard anything about these headers.

rick what do mean that they are not compatable with forced induction do you mean that they will harm or do something of this nature to the motor when ran under boost or that i will lose power with a boost application

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Bullitt5752 said:
i have another question im also looking to do long tube headers i came across a set of pypes ceramic long tube headers with an off road x pipe for 650.00 it almost sounds to good to be true has anyone ever dealt or heard of anyone using these headers also i was on rpm outlet looking around and came across a brand of headers called moto blue they are ceramic coated and come with a resonated x pipe all for under 500.00 anyone heard anything about these headers.

rick what do mean that they are not compatable with forced induction do you mean that they will harm or do something of this nature to the motor when ran under boost or that i will lose power with a boost application
JC,

Don't know about the headers you are speaking of.

Regarding the Ford Hot Rod Cams and Blowers.

NOT the best fit as you would LOOSE-Boost .............

There are Cams for Blower Applications ONLY from like Comp Cams Example.

It has nothing to do with Hurting the engine it is about Application.

Also, just so you know most people with Bulliitt Mustangs stay away from the X-Pipe .

They get headers with the H-Pipe for the Sound Quality and also that the H-Pipe adds to Low End Torque.

The X-Pipe adds power on the Top End ........

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
BlueBullitt2180 said:
The custom tune is not needed but recommended. The phase limiters are also not necessary. We installed the hot rod cams in 0038 and drove for over a month with no problems as we were waiting for the long tube headers to be installed before taking it for the dyno runs and custum tune. We were pretty easy on the car prior to the tune but didn't notice any problems.
she might have been easy on it but I ran it pretty hard more than once!

·
Registered
83 Posts
So the way I understand it, the Hot Rod cams were mainly designed for sound. Make the small V8 sound like an old school V8. It's not really made for more power, even if that's made by the increased lift. Also understanding that these cams are not a good application with a Super Charger. Are there any ford or other company cams best suited for a future SC installation, and increaded HP now. or are the stock cams the best way to go if you are doing a SC in the furure.
I do love the sound of the Hot Rod cams.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Our initial plan was to supercharge the 08 eventually, we decided to go ahead and do the hot rod cams to keep us happy for awhile. They sounded so awesome that we bought the long tube headers and might leave it N/A permanently. It really woke up the car and I love the old school sound of the FRPP hot rod's and LT'S.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Airjeir said:
So the way I understand it, the Hot Rod cams were mainly designed for sound. Make the small V8 sound like an old school V8. It's not really made for more power, even if that's made by the increased lift. Also understanding that these cams are not a good application with a Super Charger. Are there any ford or other company cams best suited for a future SC installation, and increaded HP now. or are the stock cams the best way to go if you are doing a SC in the furure.
I do love the sound of the Hot Rod cams.
They do have a GREAT sound! And with the long tubes and a tune they DO MAKE HP! Our cars set up is as follows, FRPP hot rod cams, Long tubes with an offroad H pipe and a custom tune numbers are as follows, 345RWHP and 342 RWTQ that is a 68 RWHP increase over stock, and about 3,000.00 less than a supercharger. IF we decide to supercharge it later I still have the stock cams and can sell the (hot rod's). If I had it all to do over again I would do exactly the same just sooner.

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
This is cool information regarding the FRPP hot rod cams...thinking of adding them (if compatible) to my daily driver '07 Ford CV Police Interceptor...which has the 4.6L V-8. It's already modified with an SCT tune as well as modified with FRPP 3.73 gears.

:py2:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey BlueBullit2180.1 -- did you keep the 3.73 gears in #38 ? You now have 345 RWHP after the long tubes and Hot Rod Cams & tune -- only 30 more RWHP thaan the alleged stock 315 RWHP ? Do you think these cars really have 315 RWHP to begin with ?

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
PX-NH said:
Hey BlueBullit2180.1 -- did you keep the 3.73 gears in #38 ? You now have 345 RWHP after the long tubes and Hot Rod Cams & tune -- only 30 more RWHP thaan the alleged stock 315 RWHP ? Do you think these cars really have 315 RWHP to begin with ?
The 315 is crank horsepower. The initial stock dyno was 277 to the rear wheels. We did keep the 3:73 gears.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
another question say i was get the comp stage 2 s/c application cams can i run these cams on the car even without the s/c or until i get the s/c, i originally had an 2001 with a vortech supercharger and crower stage 2 s/c cams the car ran amazingly and pulled like a bat out a hell, which brings me to another question i originally installed the cams on the 2001 in my front yard and can say from experience that it was a pain in the [email protected]# is the install for the 3v cams as hard or harder in your opinions? oh and by the way to any 2001 owners i still have the vortech supercharger for the 2001 bullitts just layin around.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Bullitt5752 said:
another question say i was get the comp stage 2 s/c application cams can i run these cams on the car even without the s/c or until i get the s/c, i originally had an 2001 with a vortech supercharger and crower stage 2 s/c cams the car ran amazingly and pulled like a bat out a hell, which brings me to another question i originally installed the cams on the 2001 in my front yard and can say from experience that it was a pain in the [email protected]# is the install for the 3v cams as hard or harder in your opinions? oh and by the way to any 2001 owners i still have the vortech supercharger for the 2001 bullitts just layin around.
JC,

Just a suggestion ......

Give Chandler a call at Brenspeed and ask him about the Comp Cams Stage II Blower Cams.

That way you will have No-Doubt to exactly what you can run with or without the Blower.

There number is in my sig.

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
483 Posts
bluebullitt2180.1 said:
They do have a GREAT sound! And with the long tubes and a tune they DO MAKE HP! Our cars set up is as follows, FRPP hot rod cams, Long tubes with an offroad H pipe and a custom tune numbers are as follows, 345RWHP and 342 RWTQ that is a 68 RWHP increase over stock, and about 3,000.00 less than a supercharger. IF we decide to supercharge it later I still have the stock cams and can sell the (hot rod's). If I had it all to do over again I would do exactly the same just sooner.
Sounds like a very nice setup. I'm also in VA and would love to do LT's but have been hesitant because of future emissions testing. Few questions. Is your custom tune a high (93) octane tune? Our cars are still fairly new, but when it's time for VA State emissions test, do you expect any issues with the LT's or custom tune? Can you or do you expect to have to fall back to the stock tune? I really like your RWHP increase without a blower. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts