Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that a lot of Bullitt owners have had to resort to either replacing the factory fuel door screws with non-OEM type screws and/or painting their existing screws. Since this is a common problem, has anyone thought about trying to trackdown the supplier of the replacement fuel doors and seeing if they would be willing to do a run of the screws if we got enough Bullitt owners together to make it worth their while??

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
I don't have a problem with mine. However, has anyone tried the hardware store for stainless screws? Just a thought/question.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Yes and yes. I talked to Mr. T about this about a month ago and he was going to try and find out who the supplier was. I'm still waiting to hear back from him. I was able to get some screws that were close (M3) to the OEM ones, but they are not exactly the same (head is shorter, no taper on end of shaft). I'll use them if I can't get the OEM supplier info.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I talked to my local fastener supply store and they were able to order me in new stainless bolts and nuts. They are not the same as the originals but they do look good and they are light years better looking then my old rusty ones.

The differances between the old bolts and the new bolts are subtle. The bolt head diameter is slightly smaller and the drive is a six face allen key instead of the original torx head. My new ones are also meteric but I believe the old ones were too.

There are two different length bolts that are needed. I can't remeber the actual lengths but I do remember needing two of the longer bolts.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
This may not be such a great idea but I am wondering if we could get some specialty company like MGW to make some screws for us. I have not had a problem with mine but it is a garage queen.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That'd be great if you could find a replacement for them. I took mine out about a month ago and brushed them down to clean them up. Worked good until it rained, now they are starting to rust a bit =( I wish I could find a cheap solution without having to buy a replacement fuel door and screws. Let us know what you guys can find out.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Some of mine are missing due to someone trying to take the door one night. That was before they were very popular in all the mags.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I will take a look at how I can make some, I have a Machine shop in Santa Barbara Ca.
I will take one of the screws off mine to get the Specs I need. I will post back.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
thanks in advance SBBullitt, for checking into it... i will stay posted to see what you come up with!

shaun

·
Registered
370 Posts
I looked At the screws and you have 2 different types, short 3mm ones and 2 long and turned down (specials). If they were all one size it could be worth doing With the special one thrown in it would be $$$. Maybe the best way to go would be to get everyones (as many as you can)and have them satin chrome flash or electroless nickel plated. a lot charge for plating is around 60-80 bucks. The more the cheaper it is per part. This way you have originals....

The other way is I can get a simular style (Metric Low Head Socket)in stainless steel, the difference here is it is socket head instead of torx and the head is a little shorter, Dont think it would look much different when assembled. on the 2 longer ones I could turn the ends down to match. I could get a few boxes of these and try it.. $25 investment for both sizes 25 each. I'm willing to give it a go and see what it looks like...What does everyone think?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Good news! I have a contact for you guys. Sorry it took so long.

Company: AMP Research
eMail: [email protected]

Make sure you send your address in the e-mail.

Let me know if you have any issues.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mus408 said:
I can't believe Ford didn't use stainless steel screws! So far mine are in great shape.
I can believe it. :)

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I just sent Brion LaBelle at AMP Research an e-mail. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Some more info from AMP Research:

I just spoke to the Quality Manager. He told me that the material used for the screws was changed from steel to anodized aluminum due to the rusting issue. The aluminum screws are not as strong as steel (obviously), but they do not rust. They may show signs of minor corrosion/oxidation after a while (whitish appearance), but no rust.

They are also investigating electroless nickel-plated steel screws. There is a possibility that these could be available in the future if the investigation results are positive; however, there is no guarantee that these will be produced. He will be keeping me up-to-date on the results of the investigation and any future production plans.

If you are interested in ordering replacement aluminum bolts, go to this thread: http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139394

1 - 20 of 25 Posts