Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just recently purchased my bullitt #71, and i have only filled it up two times.

the fuel guage doesn't seen to read correctly. after just useing 10 gallons it reads less thank a 1/4 tank, when it holds almost 16 gallons. after just using a little over 2 gallons it reads 3/4's of a tank.

does anyone else have this problem? and what type of fuel mileage does your bullitts get?

thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-09-16 18:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
586 Posts
In general, automobile fuel gauges are notoriously errant. Manufacturers want two things from a fuel gauge. They want the driver to be able to drive a while on a full tank before the needle moves - and they want people to have more in the tank than the needle shows when you're low on gas, so you don't run out.

The gauges are not accurate, nor are they intended to be. There is a psychological game there in which the manufacturer attempts to think for us. Pretty scary, huh?

The average driver rarely uses all of their gauges and is even less likely to review them as accurately as they should. They do not appreciate or understand technical design, such as in aerospace. It's just a fact of the common man is too complacent. Auto manufacturers don't expect their customers to have brains and a lot of customers really do expect that the manufacturers have thought out everything for them.

DHG #2095

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTCOUPE on 2001-09-16 23:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
172 Posts
I now have filled up my tank numerous times at 2500 miles on my Bullitt.Even after being on empty for awhile the most gas I have ever put in is 14.5 gallons.My average fuel economy is 20.0mpg.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The fuel gauges are notoriously bad. I used to have an SHO whose low fuel light would go off with almost 5 gallons left in the tank. It done like that to prevent people from running out of fuel. On my car right now I can go close to a 100 miles before the gauge even moves. and then I can litererally see it fall to 3/4 tank. It's become more of a game now, to see how it'll go before it'll dive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've heard that the fuel pump is in the gas tank, and that the gasoline is used to cool it and prevent it from burning out. So, if you run to empty, you'll risk burning out the fuel pump. Maybe this is why the guage says it's empty when it still has 3-4 gallons in it? The '01 explorer I used to drive also said empty with 3-4 gallons still in the tank...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts