Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a Goodyear tire store this morning having a a set of Goodyear Assurance tires (by the way, I really like them) put on my daily driver (04 Tarus) and one car in a bay was running and blowing a lot of "smoke" out the exhaust. I asked the employee who had helped me with the tires what they were doing to the car. It was a Subarhue (spelling?) and he said it had about 25K on it. He said they were doing a "fuel induction system clean up" on it and that quite a few people had it routinely done. He had owned and 03 Mustang and said he regularly did the system clean up on it. The cost is $120. So here is the question. Would it be a good idea to have this done to the Bullitt since I don't drive the Bullitt much? Same question for my 98 GT.
I googled the product and found a thread suggesting this treatment was not needed if one used high quality gas that had cleaners in it and someone suggested that a $5 bottle of Techron from Chevron would be equal to the $120 treatment. By the way, on the thread I found the guy was looking at this service at a cost of $200,

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I use Chevrons Techron on a regular basis on all my cars and never have had a fuel injection problem.

Cost is about $35 a year per car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's a chemical that gets pulled into the intake and combustion chambers by engine vacuum, which is intended to clean carbon build-up from ports, valves, pistons, etc... If you don't drive often, and don't drive hard, it's a good idea. When I do the service, I always let it sit for a at least a few minutes to let it work before going out and "fogging" it as the service includes a hard road test which is intended to remove all the cleaner and deposits with it.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking about the $120 treatment or just a can of Techron?

Ponyryd said:
It's a chemical that gets pulled into the intake and combustion chambers by engine vacuum, which is intended to clean carbon build-up from ports, valves, pistons, etc... If you don't drive often, and don't drive hard, it's a good idea. When I do the service, I always let it sit for a at least a few minutes to let it work before going out and "fogging" it as the service includes a hard road test which is intended to remove all the cleaner and deposits with it.
Are you saying that you have the $120 treatment done or do you put in a can of Techron?

·
Registered
141 Posts
dennisbaker said:
Are you saying that you have the $120 treatment done or do you put in a can of Techron?
Sorry, I'm saying I perform the service for customers at work, we have a service kit that includes fuel injector cleaner we add to the fuel tank, a intake cleaner spray we use to clean the throttle plate(s) and IAC and the Combustion Chamber Cleaner which is pulled into the chambers.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cost

Ponyryd said:
Sorry, I'm saying I perform the service for customers at work, we have a service kit that includes fuel injector cleaner we add to the fuel tank, a intake cleaner spray we use to clean the throttle plate(s) and IAC and the Combustion Chamber Cleaner which is pulled into the chambers.
How much does that service cost?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Ehhh, I dont think its needed. Use lucas feul injection cleaner or chevron with 91-93 octane (more detergents) and you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
IMO, the service is a must at some point, but not sure what intervals are reccomended. I have a friend with a kit including adapters, all I have to provide is a can of $20 cleaner that can be found at Napa, along with the extra additive for the fuel tank. Mileage on the cars I've done this to have been around the 100k mile mark. After the treatment was performed I've seen as much as 2 mpg improvement. Currently all my vehicles are still below 50k miles, but for good insurance I use a bottle of the Techron (Chevron) every oil change. I picked up the Techron fuel additive yesterday from Costco $9 for a 4 pack, your engines and wallet both will love you at that price.

·
Registered
141 Posts
^Seafoam work good too.
dennisbaker-As for how much it costs, I believe it's $129.99, for the service, not sure though. We usually try to sell the service every 40k I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts