Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I am going to buy a set of L/T headers(Hooker??) with either a catted Hpipe or catted Xpipe and maybe either Borla Stingers or Magnaflow(nothing to loud but louder than stock).And to go with that a set of VT stage 1 or 2 or comp cams (with springs if i go higher) I really would appreciate if yall could help me with these decision bc I want it to sound right(not a lot of rasp) and run good. My only mod is a K&N air intake. Thanks

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
They are a bit more expensive, but I have only heard good things about Kooks and SLP LTs. I have heard mostly good things about Hooker, but a few people with leaks around the slip fitting. As far as H vs X and which muffler, thats is all personal preference. I would find people and listen their combo and see if you like it. There are sound clips floating all around the internet. I think MRT makes a nice H-pipe.

My personal combo that I am real happy with is SLP LTs&X-pipe. With a MRT max-thunder exhaust (similar to flowsmasters). It isn't to loud but I think it sounds good.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have the BBK ceramic coated longtubes, Dr. Gas o/r x-pipe, and Bassani catback. I absolutely love the sound, not raspy at all. It's quiet when putting around but screams at wide open throttle!!!

I don't really have any experience with the cams, but I'm sure someone will chime in

·
Registered
987 Posts
O/R Pro-Chamber with Bassani Bx Mufflers. Heard the set up on the car and it was bad azz. Wasnt Rasp at all. Nice and deep at WOT the car sounded streight mean. At idle it was quiet but if u dont want it that loud the have a Catted Pro-Chamber.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
On the cams if you don't want to get into getting your car tuned and things like that I would go with a CompCam 262ah or lower. I have heard good things about VT cams you will need to replace your springs with stage 2 though. My current exhaust setup is bassani x with borla stinger catback I like the sound.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you guys are awesome. KEEP THE POSTS COMING! I deff want it louder than stock but i live a neighborhood obviously so probably in the medium to high range. As for the cams i plan on getting a tune either way so a higher lift is what im going for (still need help on which to go towards)My plan to get to 300 rwhp.All the help I can get is much appreciated since im only 18 and it my dad my goal for the car

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
You'll need more than cams for 300+ RWHP on an N/A motor. you'd be better off just buying built heads with the cams springs valves and everything. plus a new Throttle body, injectors CAI headers and full exaust will maybe net you 300. it takes alot just to get there.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
You'll need more than cams for 300+ RWHP on an N/A motor. you'd be better off just buying built heads with the cams springs valves and everything. plus a new Throttle body, injectors CAI headers and full exaust will maybe net you 300. it takes alot just to get there.
I'm not so sure about the throttle body, but personally I would save up and do the VT stage 2 cams with port and polished heads w/upgraded springs and such at the same time to save on labor. I think VT does package deals. I don't think the stage 2s are recommended for unported heads, and if you are going to pay for a cam you might as well make it worth your while. I wish I would have went with a more aggressive cam like the VT stage 2s. That with CAI and full exhaust should easily get you into the 300s. Most seem to be in the 300-320 range.

With my stock engine and CAI,LTs, x-pipe, and stock exhaust I was almost there with a very mild cam and ported heads w/ stock springs(298RWHP if I remember correctly). From the dyno sheet I bet I could of picked up a significant amount with more aggressive cams (at least that is what 2 experienced tuners said).

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Matt Stachler said:
I'm not so sure about the throttle body, but personally I would save up and do the VT stage 2 cams with port and polished heads w/upgraded springs and such at the same time to save on labor. I think VT does package deals. I don't think the stage 2s are recommended for unported heads, and if you are going to pay for a cam you might as well make it worth your while. I wish I would have went with a more aggressive cam like the VT stage 2s. That with CAI and full exhaust should easily get you into the 300s. Most seem to be in the 300-320 range.

With my stock engine and CAI,LTs, x-pipe, and stock exhaust I was almost there with a very mild cam and ported heads w/ stock springs(298RWHP if I remember correctly). From the dyno sheet I bet I could of picked up a significant amount with more aggressive cams (at least that is what 2 experienced tuners said).
Id say go with a new trottle body. a single oval instead of the Dual. IMHO it would help with the airflow more. I also recommend getting a Vortech or Paxton CAI, they may heat the air up but you'll see more of a gain than anything eles. :grin:

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I wouldn't get to radical with the cams, a VT stage 2 or something that is equal would do just fine. From what I have seen on some of the cars weve built it is not always the biggest that makes the most HP on these little motors. Also I would get your heads ported or buy some that are ported so you can get the most out of your setup.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
For me getting p/p heads isn't going to happen and i know that not doing that will sacrifice horspower and potential but I plane on a cai, throttle body( easy to get if needed be), cam, longtube headers, and mid catted x pipe. so realistically what can i expect from that and a tune. Its pretty much going to be a basic bolton with an added cam and valve springs

since im not getting p/p heads what type of cam is better vt stage 1, 2 or which comp cam remember im getting valve springs as well

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
I also recommend getting a Vortech or Paxton CAI, they may heat the air up but you'll see more of a gain than anything eles. :grin:
Yep a good addition for sure, maybe they could be called a HAI (hot air intake).

As far as cam selection, I would call either VT or comp and discuss it with them. They will be able to set you up with the ideal cam for your combo and goals. They might even suggest a custom grid to fit your needs best (usually the same price as any off the shelf grind).

Without ported heads you will probably be close to 300RWHP but I am not sure if you will quite make it there. Remember though for a street car sometimes low end power and "the area under the curve" is more important than the high RPM peak number.
My car only makes ~315RWHP but is still a lot of fun to drive because it makes between 300-330 ft/lbs of torque from 3200 to over 5500 RPMs.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
VT Cams ???

Who makes the VT cams I keep hearing so much about? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
uh...VT engines.

Nothing wrong with Mac LT's. I have them. They fit excellent. Sure, they aren't as pretty as SLP's, but who really sees them anyway! :bigguns: It's a race car!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the xe262ah compcams, JLT cai, o/r H and flows. Had my car dyno tuned with my predator and made 299/300rwhp and 313/314 rwtq. Just recently added Hooker ceremic coated l/t's but have not been back to the doctor to see what my numbers are now.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Well, lots of good ideas on what to do.

I'm going back with Stage II ported heads, VT stage II N/A-Nitrous cams, and VT recommended Crower springs. I just took off a set of stock heads with Comp Cam Springs and Comps non-PI cams. BIG Mistake but I still made 276 RWHP to the wheels with that set-up(other mods in garage). I think I SHOULD hit the 300 RWHP on motor in a few weeks. I will post the dyno sheets when I get it.

I'm not much older than you but I'd go with VT's stage II cams, heads, headers, exhuast. etc etc. that's if you got enough to spend to do it. I usually do my own work so I just by parts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
BBK ceramic Longtubes, VRS O/R X-pipe, Magnaflow cat-back. for an economic full exhaust system. You can get the Magnaflow C/B shipped for $369, brand new on-line. PM me for details. Stingers will be insanely loud. Magnaflow (regular, NOT the packs) will still sound mean but not overbearing.

Go with VT Stage 2's and Manley Nextek Springs, and a GOOD DYNO TUNE. Those, along with the full exhaust system will put you close to 300rwhp. Maybe not over it, but close. Friend of mine put down 296 in 95* heat. Add a set of FRPP 4.10s and you will have yourself one surprisingly quick all-motor 2V.

Oh, and make sure to have the cams professionally installed by a shop that has ford modular experience. Just because Joe's Garage down the road has swapped cams in 5000 Chebby 350s doesnt mean they know how to do it on a mod motor. Completely different animal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts