Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran some numbers if regular cost $3.80/Gallon and Premium cost $0.20 cents more per gallon and if this increase your MPG by at lease 1.21 MPG I.E. 23 to 24.21 you will break even. If you get 15 with regular and 16.21 with Premium you will save 1.58 per tank using Premium. As the price of gas goes up the numbers get better at $4.25 for regular and that same $0.20 Adder you will save $0.36 per fill up if you get 24.21MPG over 23MPG and $2.11 if you get 16.21MPG over 15MPG. Just something to think about. Now the question is will the Bullitt get 1.21MPG more when we use Premium over Regular. The Bullitt might be one of the first cars where this is a possibility with its duel knock computer strategy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I was only thinking about one thing when I bought the Bullitt (happened during the test drive) and it sure wasn't fuel economy. She's become addicted to high test though!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Mileage may decrease with premium.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The 2008 Bullitt will sense if you did the right thing and filled up with premium. If you did she'll reward you with as much as ten extra foot pounds of torque!! If you cheat on her with regular gas she'll get even by retarding the timing. And yes you get better fuel....you get better milage. My problem is keeping the lead in my right foot in the trunk. Read about the "adaptive spark timing thing-a -my-jig" here under "Powered By Ford" (about a third way down) Your welcome and as usual no charge
http://www.shnack.com/fullstory.php?sid=125

·
Registered
495 Posts
From a mileage perspective, 10 lb/ft or torque is less than 3% of the engine's output. Therefore if you thought the extra torque would somehow increase economy the most it could do so would be less than 3%. I would say 3% is within the margin of error when it comes to dealing with barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, load, driving style...etc. In other words, why worry about it. Just get out there and drive and enjoy the car.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Well it looks as if you will not gain anything from using premium except the torque. Several articles on the web say no increase in mileage whatsoever. Since you do not gain HP with the gas sensor I would say no.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-12/976499784.Eg.r.html

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/premium/myths.html

But really how much more money is it to use premium if you choose? At your .20 a gallon that's 2.00 for a 10 gallon fill. Not really much of a difference. So use whatever you want. It an't a Prius.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
kfengler said:
Does Ford Recommend premium for the 2008 Bullitt? If not chances are all that will happen using premium (on a stock Bullit) is your wallet getting thinner,
Yes, they do.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What they say is that Ford recommends premium gas for maximum performance. But Regular is acceptable and in no way will damage the car. This was not for me I will fill the tank with what I see fit and will go on. I was just thinking that this car is the first on that had the potential to show a real savings by using Premium gas. I don't care if I did I would be driving a Bullitt. This was more for the folks that who might care. As for no improvement in mileage I would think that the use of Premium would have a net increase more than the 3% as stated above but that is why we do testing. In theory, theory and practice are one and the same in practice they are not.

·
Registered
495 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Well it looks as if you will not gain anything from using premium except the torque. Several articles on the web say no increase in mileage whatsoever. Since you do not gain HP with the gas sensor I would say no.
If you gain torque you gain horsepower. Horsepower is a calculation derived from torque.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Not according to Ford. 10 Ft lbs of torque and minimal HP gain. Ford does not advertise that this new program will increase HP at all. I asked this question directly to one of the Ford engineers and he said no HP gain.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I pull about 26.5 mpg on the highway... yes, that is what the pc is telling me. I'll set at a gas station along the highway and reset the computer... 120 miles later at 70-75mph, I avg 26.5 or better. With about 1/2 tank of that in the city, I avg about 23.5 mpg with the highway driving on regular... I've yet to try premium, but these bullitts don't do too bad on gas really.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Not according to Ford. 10 Ft lbs of torque and minimal HP gain. Ford does not advertise that this new program will increase HP at all. I asked this question directly to one of the Ford engineers and he said no HP gain.
The torque gain is probably all under the HP Peak (in the "usable" RPM range most people drive) - therefore, if the TQ gain is minimal AT the HP Peak, you don't gain any "Peak" HP (but probably the HP curve leading to the peak would be "fatter" as seen on a Dyno chart).

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I just like the way it runs on premium than on regular IMO. On regular it idles slower and throttles slower.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts