Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Bullitt in January and am grinning from ear to ear now that I brought it out on the road ... but is it normal to get 40 miles on half a tank of gas? I had a 98 F150 4x4 with a 4.6 V8 and got about 14 mpg no matter how hard I drove it ... Bullitt Archive says the tank is 15.7 gallons ... thoughts ??? ... or is it just my heavy foot?? :confused:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
If you are going by the gasoline guage there is no way to figure mileage. If your Bullitt is stock and you drive without a very heavy right foot you should get 23-27 on the highway. Also if stock you should get better results running 87 octane.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You will get 15-17 on the streets and IF YOU ARE LUCKY 26-27 freeway.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Doc Coffin said:
You will get 15-17 on the streets and IF YOU ARE LUCKY 26-27 freeway.
I concur with Doc on the 15-17 in town mileage. I don’t think I could get his kind of highway mileage though.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I only got 26-27 once on a long road trip.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DHG 610 is stock and 15-18 mpg would be good around town ... you are right on the gauge ... says half but may be more than half in the tank .. will check the mpg on my next fill up ... I am running 87 octane ... I think I will buy a K&N air filter and see if that helps ...

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
The gauge is not accurate. I can go 150 miles on the first half of the tank and only about 50 on the second half.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You guys get that bad of gas mileage? I get 23 mpg average. I always average 320 miles between fill ups(in fact, it's so consistently over this, I don't even think to head to the station till I've got over 310 miles on the tank).

My bullitt was a later production date. I had it in for service sometime in summer '02. The tech had got a "new tune" for the bullitt, he said. So they updated that and gave it back to me and that's the last time it's been serviced by a shop. Only current upgrades I have is a densecharger and tri-ax.

I do drive fairly conservatively. I.E. I shift before 2,000 and typically always go from 2nd to 4th and roll around town in as high a gear as possible... But, having said that, I've also drove from Vicenza, Italy to Kaiserslautern, Germany (700 miles in 7.5 hours, in sub-freezing temperatures, stopping only for gas and eating on-the-go) and still was able to get 320 miles per tank on their gas (which is like 93 octane) I had the car on cruise at over 110 mph most the time, peaking well over 130 when running with some porsche's...

This is an interesting difference between bullitts... Maybe I just got lucky...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Clark - I love that last paragraph of yours....

It starts out by saying "I do drive fairly conservatively." and ends by saying "I had the car on cruise at over 110 mph most the time, peaking well over 130 when running with some porsche's" :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I'm with Doc, on mpg. I get about 25 on the open road with 87 octane. About 22-23 around town (BURB DRIVING) with a conservative foot. I took out the K & N filter, reinstalled a paper element and noticed no difference in mpg on the highway this past weekend. :cool: My advice is don't waste your money on the filter.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
When I first got the car, I was running about 11-12 around town. Ford did a new computer flash and it went up to 14-15. I used the Predator Performance tune and it went up to 17-18 around town on 91. Lately, I have installed the Predator "Factory Tune" so I could go back to cheaper 87 ($3.26) and it has stayed about 15-17.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I am stock and a daily driver (50/50 City-Highway) and consistantly get 20-22 MPG. on cheap gas, 87 octane and 21-23 when I burn Amoco 87 octane.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
My Bullitt and my 04 Mustang GT get similar fuel mileage. I just brought the GT home to Michigan from Florida and, with 373 gears, averaged 25 mpg over a distance of 1300 miles.

·
Registered
429 Posts
do a lot of u guys run 87 octane?? i just thought the 93 was better for the car...am i wrong? and what reason would there be to use 87 over 93. btw i usually get around 17-18mpg with 4.10s, headers, intake and h-pipe

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
^^^^read the auto guide that came with the car. It is tuned to run 87 octane. Do some research on octane ratings and you will find that higher octane on a stock car may actually be harmful.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I consider yours stock. I see no mods that would require higher octane. I would also change the fuel filter and run a bottle of fuel system cleaner after changing the filter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts