Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 2 times I filled up (2 different gas stations)when the nozzle shut off about a pint of gas splashed back out of the tank and ran down the car.

Has anyone had this happen and know of a solution?
It just got hot here (upper 80s),don't know if that would have an effect, as it's never happened before.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have not had that happen to me, but my wife says she has had it happen to her a few times. Maybe it's a pressure thing with the pump.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a 2007 Mustang, it's the same way. A real pain in the rear to fill it up. The local Ford dealer said there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Don't know if you are doing this or not (Using the Auto Funtion) and letting the Pump cut itself OFF.

I DON"T, I use my hand and kinda keep an eye on how many gallons I am putting in so I can "Back-Off" on running the Gas in under WIDE-OPEN-PRESSURE. I slow it up when I think it is even CLOSE to being FULL.

Just a suggestion.

Terry

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using the Auto Function and it's worked fine up until my last 2 fill ups.

I'll try your suggestion next time, thanks Terry.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I fill it up myself - no auto shut off. I do so for 2 reasons. First, I can watch and feel it filling up so that I can top it and turn it off without splashing. Splashing not only wastes gas, but it hurts the environment and my wax job. Second, I read that by filling it up fast you are putting more gas vapors into your tank but the pump is charging you for them as if you were putting all gas into your tank. So I fill it up slowly.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Bullitt0877 said:
I have been using the Auto Function and it's worked fine up until my last 2 fill ups.

I'll try your suggestion next time, thanks Terry.
Hey Robin,

Can't HURT anything and might save you having GAS running down the side of your Bullitt.

Terry

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,301 Posts
Bullitt0877 said:
The last 2 times I filled up (2 different gas stations)when the nozzle shut off about a pint of gas splashed back out of the tank and ran down the car.

Has anyone had this happen and know of a solution?
It just got hot here (upper 80s),don't know if that would have an effect, as it's never happened before.
Hasn't happened to me yet... but that doesn't mean it won't. I'll be watching closely from now on. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Hasn't happen to me yet. But thanks for the warning! :) :) :)

In NJ you're not allowed to pump the gas yourself. The next time I fill up there I'll talk to the attendant about this problem. :idea:

:cool:

Steve

·
Administrator
6,521 Posts
This was a more frequently reported issue on various forums during the first 2 years of the S197. There were some changes in parts, but it can still occasionally happen.

In my opinion, the best description of the causes for the issue is in this thread on The Mustang Source 2005+ forum.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
gboger said:
Just about every Ford I have owned does this when you try to fill the tank....
Yup. My F150 is the worst. Takes forever to fill both tanks (which I can't afford to do anymore) cause they have to leave it on slow fill with their pen rigging it. Various attendants (no self serve in OR) have said almost all Fords are like that.
I've seen some backwash on the Bullitt and I just figured it was sloppy work... but maybe Ford still hasn't figured out how to vent the tanks properly. Dweebs! :neutral:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Had it happen to me twice, the second time I think I didn't have the nozzle all the way in. Now ensure the nozzle is all the way in and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used the manual fill method last time and no splash and just a hair off full.
Then I noticed that there's a "gallons used" window in INFO which I reset to zero.
What a good idea to include that.
Next gas stop I'll check that window, reset to zero, fill the tank a bit more than what was used and be good to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts