Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I know from various sources on the web that our tanks are supposed to be 16.1 gallons.

However, I reset the fuel counters, and trip every time I fill up. Averaging about 20 mpg these days, and that should put me at roughly 322 miles per tank. But when I get down to about 280 miles on the tank, the car is saying that I only have about 10 miles left till empty, but at the same time have only used 14 gallons.

Why doesn't it think I can go further? I'm not one to push the envelope with fuel, but there have been situations (like late for a meeting) when I really would like to know if I can go another 20 miles.

The most fuel I have ever put in the car is 14.3 gallons, and that was with the computer telling me I could go only 5 miles further.

Anyone else experience this?

Oooo, just had a thought. Could it be off because of my upgraded injectors from the Saleen kit?

·
Registered
317 Posts
The computers way of helping you not run out of gas.

Its better to think that you only have 11 miles left but actually have 50 miles left than 11 miles left and only 11 miles left when the gas station is 12 miles away. :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've been confused by mine as well. I put 14gallons in the first time I filled it and I had something like 50 miles left according to the comp. but the light had yet to come on. I am getting in the 26mpg range, since then I could only put 12 gallons in. I noticed the miles left read about 1/2 to 1/3 of reality (for every 3 miles I drove it would drop by 1) until they got under 100miles then it seemed to start reading accurately.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You have to realize that these numbers are figured on each other. The fuel consumed against the figured MPG versus the distance driven equals to miles left to empty. Hence as driving habits change from minute to minute all numbers change as per consumption. They are all averages figured against each other. The only two that should be hard set are gallons used and miles driven. Miles to empty and average MPG are calculated on the fly. Reset all the counters, drive 50 miles at 70 mph on cruise, check your numbers. Then reset everything drive the same 50 miles at say 100 mph, you will get completely different numbers. You change the fuel consumption you change the averages, hence every tank of fuel will 'show' different numbers. You would have to drive several tanks empty with the cruise set to the same speed with same weather conditions on the same road every time to get consistent numbers. Law of averages. I am not sure what they use for a flow meter to gauge fuel consumed, if it is figured from tank sender then none of it is truly accurate. On the boats I have owned in the past I installed a flow meter inline to each motor. It not only would let you know how many gallons consumed, you could also sync the motors to each other to get the best run on a gallon of gas.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I never let it get past 1/4 empty...old habits and all that...

Ran out of fuel once in another car by paying attention to the electronic 'distance remaining' indicator... 1 mile from the gas station on a busy dual carriageway with no hard shoulder...I was very popular! Never again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts