Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at putting together a rally type event in the fall on some backroads through the Texas Hill Country. Start in the north and end up somewhere in the hill country to stay overnight and then another easy days drive and overnight. A Friday, Saturday, Sunday type event. Also any ideas for roads would be great!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Texas Monthly sometimes does a fall drive event and publishes the route. Maybe that could give some inspiration to some folks interested in doing a drive. As usual, it depends on my work schedule. Otherwise, I am all for it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Sounds like fun for sure.... but dates will play an important part on my participation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you know where you can get good ideas for roads. Ride Texas magazine, it's a bike mag but they're always doing stories on road trips, standard stuff, things to see, places to eat and they always so a map of the roads involved.

·
Premium Member
6,226 Posts
When? Greg, do you know how many miles total you are thinking? I think this is a good idea, but for me too, it would be gas-dependent. I may be able to do part of the run, but not cruising all day for three days.

Poker run? Like the motorcycle guys do?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sounds like a blast... I may bring the 5.0 if I'm in town. Overnight near fredricksburg sounds like fun, but that may break the 150 mile round trip.

Fredriksburg: 240 miles one way

There are some decent back roads between between here and College Station, and plenty of places to stay/eat/hangout in the area.

College Station: 95 miles one way.

Those measurements are by using major highways, so it would add to either trip by hitting the back roads.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
COOL ... GREAT IDEA 4-SURE ... :~))

Road Ideas: Right after I got 1276 we took a little road trip to San Antonio for a weekend and while there we did a side trip to Fredericksburg and stopped at Enchanted Rock Park (for photos). The drive from Fredericksburg to the park was real neat and had a couple of real neat turns/curves. Although there is probably a more scenic part of the Hill Country, Fredricksburg has lots of neat things to see (shops for the ladies), beer gardens, and is full of restaurants (read Texas Monthly sometime). If we wanted to BBQ there (I don't know how far your plans extend/includes) they did have the facilities for that plus restrooms (but not much else to see or do there unless you want to climb the rock). I don't know if they allow alcohol in the park ... (???).

Driving to San Antonio last year from Bryan-College Station on the country backroads was also nice but it was just a drive.

San Antonio seems about the same distance from Houston as it is from Dallas/Fort Worth ... (???)

Uvalde, Texas Hill Country area (Garner State Park) might be nice if you're considering another area of the Hill Country (might be far from Dallas-Fort Worth & Houston for 3 days).

Marble Falls ... Never heard a negative word about it ... :~))

October holiday reminder: Colombus Day (usually a 3-day weekend).

All I ask is that whatever IS decided PLEASE let me know as far in advance as possible so I can post up at work for time off. I have to take 1 day off in advance of the beginning day of the meet (so I wont get punked by last minute overtime).

If I can think of anything else I'll post it up. :~))

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sounds cool -- keep us posted on dates/ routes

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was not including gas to and from the start point for each person. 150 miles over a day and a half. Idea would be to meet somewhere Friday evening as a starting point for Saturday. Spend a good part of Saturday on the drive, stopping for lunch along the way and ending up at a nice hotel somewhere. Then take off Sunday morning for a drive and lunch then we go our separate ways home. Since the hill country is centrally located it is well within drving distance for everyone San Antonio, Dallas and Houston folks. I'll get some locations firmed up and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
:cool: Ya'll are making me homesick. Jeff is supposed to retire in just over a year and we'll be living near Lake Belton in Morgan's Point, Tx. Burn a few gallons up for me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.