Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the recommended break in period/method for new gears? Just wondering for when spring arrives and I can get the new 3:73's installed!

Alan

·
Car Whisperer
21,575 Posts
when I had mine done....nothing but drive it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I was told drive it.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I usually give them a 100 miles. You don't have to be all that gentle in that time either. I put in 80w90, then dump and refill after 500 miles. Felpro makes a gasket that makes this a much easier task for that short oil change interval. Scraping RTV after only 500 miles is more effort than it's worth. That said, after the refill I go back to the black RTV. I do stick with the 80w90 in the refill, but that's your choice.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I have a friend who builds and races cars. He told me to take it a little easy for 500 miles, then change the fluid. After that... drive it like you stole it.

This guys is an amazing wealth of knowledge when it comes to anything mechanical. I totally trust him when he tells me stuff like this.

Other local shops also recommended 300-500 miles of break in before pounding on it.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
i took it easy for about 300 miles or so, then let her rip :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.