Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it normal for a shop to charge 7 hours of labour to put in a set of gears? my bullitt is gona need to wind up a bit faster wih the vortech.
second of all: 3.73 or 3.55? 4.10's are not an option. i want the rpms to stay somewhat lower.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
7 hours sounds excessive for a gear change. 2-3 hours sounds much closer if the shop has any clue about how to do them.

As for gear choices, I had 4.10s put in when I installed my Vortech and it was too much for me. I ended up pulling them out and putting 3.73s in and now they feel perfect for me. 3.55s would be a fairly small difference from what you have now.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Seven hrs way to much. Go with the 373s, 1543 had 410s until the K-B went on then had to go to 373s, MUCH better.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
my local shop is doing a gear swap, and rebuidling the trac loc with the 03/04 clutch pack upgrade kit, plus full seals/bearings on rear end and fluids, all for 150 bucks, so yeah, seven hours (at 65/hr that's 450 bucks!!) is WWWAAAYYY to much...

and you can tell him i said so!! :bigguns:

shaun

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
I have mixed feelings on this one. It actually took 6 hours to do my diff/gear change. The pinon was the problem. It just wouldn't budge. Just about everyone in the shop got to pound on the pumpkin.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The cheapest I could find around here is $400 for the labor only for a gear change. Some of you must have some pretty good connections. Maybe I should go to your area to have it done???

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
sganow said:
The cheapest I could find around here is $400 for the labor only for a gear change. Some of you must have some pretty good connections. Maybe I should go to your area to have it done???
Same here, $400 for labor for a recent gear change (and Trac-Lok install) in my 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts