Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting into doing some autocrossing, and maybe some track time in at Road America on special occasions. (espesially driving school) What sort of gears do you guys recommend, right now there stock, but I want 3.73 or 4.10's. The cars drivin on weekends only, and want more get-up and go, but dont want to get shorted on the track.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would go 3.73's,if you go 4.10's that would be a little big for alot of auto-x courses you'd be between 2nd and 3rd gear alot,you really don't want to be shifting in the middle of the track or coming around a apex if you don't have to.with 3.73's you could stay in 2nd most of the track til you hit a straight away.I know with the stock 3.27's I find myself in the low RPM range when it's in 2nd on alot of tight tracks.and your RPM's aren't going to change alot at the higher speeds,it will change but nothing dermatic with the 3.73's.I've been to about 20 auto-x events and practice's with my car since I bought it and I'm going with the 3.73's,I guess if your going to drag race and go to the track with it then that's a different story.just my .02...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bluebullitt on 2001-12-12 05:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, the stock gears are fine for autocross. Also, ANY gear change will take you out of the stock class and into the prepared class, not worth it. Remember, ideally, you want to be able to run the whole autox course in 2nd gear. On most autox'es, the stock gears are best suited for using 2nd gear.

Also, the stock gears should be fine at nearly all road courses.

I've been autoxing for 15 years with 7 SCCA Solo 2 championships to my credit and a autox instructor. If your a beginner at autox, keep your car as stock as possible.

Just my $0.02.
PS, my 20th finishing postition at the 2001 SCCA Solo 2 Nationals in my Bullitt was the result of trying to drive with my head up my ass. My car was fine. Look for myself and my other Solo 2 Bullitt friends kicking some "F" body ass in 2002

Dean Sapp, Bullitt # 176

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAVOCDEAN on 2001-12-16 04:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Dean, you answered a lot of questions I've had.

-Marty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts