Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change your gears,and does any one know of a site that may explain how to do it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
From what I have heard and read, it is pretty tedious. I would recommend maybe letting someone who has experience in gear swaps do it. Not saying that you don't, this is what I have learned from my research on this topic.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I used to do them when I was a tech, but I had all the Ford tools and that made the job easy. The good swap kits come with everything to do the job right, but for a first timer it may seem daunting and if you don't get it set just right, your gears may whine. See if you can get someone who has done it before to give you a hand.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I just paid someone to do them.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I was given the advice to have someone eles do the, and as this is a very bad thing to do wrong and not work right i think i will.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I just got 373s from 50resto in Waco. Got the whole kit gears marker stuff, new bearings, shims, oil etc for $300 delivered. You can get any gears ratio you want. I am looking for someone to put them in. There was a post on IMBOC a couple weeks ago for another site that had pictures and all thought I bookmarked it but can't find it. Maybe someone else has it.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I think StangNet.com may have something

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Have you ever rebuilt your own transmission?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Here's a question. Are you a one-percenter? That's probably the share of performance enthusiasts that could read instructions and go do a gear install on their own. And even that may even be an incredibly optimistic percentage. There are people who have built many an engine that shudder at the thought of doing gears. Now the good news is, if you have a friend who has successfully set up gears before, that can help you out with the install, you don't have to be a one-percenter. Maybe just a five-percenter :D BTW, five-percenters are born from being too poor to afford to pay someone to do the work for them. One-percenters are born from being dirt poor and brilliant at the same time :D

I know there is an article on doing gears over on corral.net. I personally have never read it completely to know how much info is there. If you get done reading it and still think you can handle it, I have a couple pieces of advice. 1) Don't do it until you can be without the car for a few days. If it can go wrong, and you need the car tomorrow, it likely will go wrong. 2) Don't do it if you can't afford to tear it back down next week to fix that loud whine ;)

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
01GTB said:
Here's a question. Are you a one-percenter? That's probably the share of performance enthusiasts that could read instructions and go do a gear install on their own. And even that may even be an incredibly optimistic percentage. There are people who have built many an engine that shudder at the thought of doing gears. Now the good news is, if you have a friend who has successfully set up gears before, that can help you out with the install, you don't have to be a one-percenter. Maybe just a five-percenter :D BTW, five-percenters are born from being too poor to afford to pay someone to do the work for them. One-percenters are born from being dirt poor and brilliant at the same time :D

I know there is an article on doing gears over on corral.net. I personally have never read it completely to know how much info is there. If you get done reading it and still think you can handle it, I have a couple pieces of advice. 1) Don't do it until you can be without the car for a few days. If it can go wrong, and you need the car tomorrow, it likely will go wrong. 2) Don't do it if you can't afford to tear it back down next week to fix that loud whine ;)

I must be a .005 percenter. Wasn't born rich and have to get creative in the shop,for my car mods!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
01GTB said:

Yea I have never had the money to pay outragious mechanic fees, so over the years I have studied and talk to different people and learned how to do alot of things my self. In the past 10 years I have fixed every thing my self and the only time I bring my car somewhere is to get exhaust or tires done. I have rebuilt motors and fixed my own tranny twice.And above all besides the money factor,I just dont trust any one else with my car.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I have rebuilt many a motor, mind you I am no Larry, but when it came to gears I brought it to a shop who stands behind their work.

Way less headache and it cost me $360 a bit much but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
mustangwi said:
I have rebuilt many a motor, mind you I am no Larry, but when it came to gears I brought it to a shop who stands behind their work.

Way less headache and it cost me $360 a bit much but it was well worth it.
I paid 350. I think that is a good deal. I got BRAND NEW FRPP gears andthe install for that price.

Did you already have your gears foir that price?

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
No the gears were a seperate cost I bought 3.73's from FR for an additional $180 so it wound up costing over $500 in the end but it was well worth the price.

Edit:

If you got the gears and the install for $350 that was a fantastic price!!!! :wow:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
mustangwi said:
No the gears were a seperate cost I bought 3.73's from FR for an additional $180 so it wound up costing over $500 in the end but it was well worth the price.

Edit:

If you got the gears and the install for $350 that was a fantastic price!!!! :wow:
yep 350 total for both install and gears

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Bullitt3246 said:
yep 350 total for both install and gears
I need to get in touch with that shop!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The places around here are quoting me $400 for just the labor for the install. I must live in the wrong part of the country.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts