Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guys that have 3.73's. What do these gears make you rev at 70mph? I am considering switching my 3.27's to something a little steeper (wanna wake up the performance of the vortech a little more.) I was thinking 3.55's or 3.73's no higher. Does anyone have any input or suggestions? This can potentially be my daily driver next year so I dont really want something that is gonna rev at 3000rpm at 75mph. I do like the ocasional high speed jaunt. Wish I had a 6 speed.

·
Registered
987 Posts
3.73's will keep u around 2.5k rpm maybe under at 80 mph.

I have 3.90s and I'm right at 2.5k rpm when going 80mph.

Ur vortech will love the 3.73's cuz mine came alive wit the 3.90's.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
Yes, 373s are the way to go.

2500 at 75mph on a Bullitt. My 04 GT has a little taller overdrive and runs 2500 at 80 mph.

Gears make a big difference and my car is stock.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am very tempted to get this done in the spring even though im conteplating selling the car.

·
Registered
987 Posts
chris1984 said:
I am very tempted to get this done in the spring even though im conteplating selling the car.
The gears will really wake ur car up. The mod motors really like gears it may make u rethink the sell.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only reason I am considering the sale is that I would love to have a Terminator. And the canadian dollar is higher right now so it would be worth it to get one from the states. Chances are that it wont work out though. I wish I could have both. But anyways back to the gears. I had 3.73 on my 5.0 and I thought they were to steep on the highway. But they are supposed to be awesome with the centry blowers. Would you guys recomend a limited slip while the gears are out?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
chris1984 said:
For the guys that have 3.73's. What do these gears make you rev at 70mph? I am considering switching my 3.27's to something a little steeper (wanna wake up the performance of the vortech a little more.) I was thinking 3.55's or 3.73's no higher. Does anyone have any input or suggestions? This can potentially be my daily driver next year so I dont really want something that is gonna rev at 3000rpm at 75mph. I do like the ocasional high speed jaunt. Wish I had a 6 speed.
Go here for the IMBOC gear tables http://www.bullittarchive.com/3013.htm

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2000 rpm at 60 I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
chris1984 said:
2000 rpm at 60 I can live with that.
60=2000rpm.....90=3000rpm......with 373 gears in my B...an still got 23mpg :D

·
Car Whisperer
20,882 Posts
Yep, mine is about 2300 at 70mph too. Best mod I did. Really makes a difference in the car.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
chris1984 said:
the only reason I am considering the sale is that I would love to have a Terminator. And the canadian dollar is higher right now so it would be worth it to get one from the states. Chances are that it wont work out though. I wish I could have both. But anyways back to the gears. I had 3.73 on my 5.0 and I thought they were to steep on the highway. But they are supposed to be awesome with the centry blowers. Would you guys recomend a limited slip while the gears are out?
I'd recommend a limited slip while you have it apart. The tracloc is a bad design in that it's a clutch style dif. It constantly wears and will eventually wear out like mine has and become a one wheel wonder. For about $100 you can get the Cobra tracloc rebuild kit with carbon clutches from Jegs.com. It will eventually wear out though, but not as fast as stock. I've heard from alot of guys that go off-roading with Explorers, bronco II's and Rangers that love the TruTrac in the 8.8's because it's a gear biasing limited slip differential and will not wear out like a clutch style. It usually goes for about $3-400.00 though, so you could rebuild the tracloc about 4 times for the cost of the TruTrac. I will be going with the TruTrac and 4.10's in the next couple of months.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I put a powertraxx (simliar to the truetrac) in another car of mine a few years back. They have a much better longevity than a posi due to not having any clutches, but they do have more noticeable clacking around corners when locking and unlocking. It's not too bad really, but a little overkill unless you plan on dragging a lot. Easy to install too!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
hollow_point said:
I put a powertraxx (simliar to the truetrac) in another car of mine a few years back. They have a much better longevity than a posi due to not having any clutches, but they do have more noticeable clacking around corners when locking and unlocking. It's not too bad really, but a little overkill unless you plan on dragging a lot. Easy to install too!
My dad had a locker in his 97 Jeep Wrangler that made terrible ratcheting and clanking around corners, not sure what kind it was. He has the TruTrac in his explorer now and it is quiet as stock. Expensive, but it's a quality part. Not sure if things have maybe changed a bit, but you're not the first one to say they're noisy. I know that he's had the Explorer and a 96 full size Bronco with the TruTrac and both were and are quiet as stock.

Oh, and I plan on dragging mine alot hence the 4.10's and gear biasing locker. So, for a daily driver, the Cobra tracloc rebuild kit may be your best bet if you don't race it alot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Love my 4.10's. I don't cruise very quickly on the highway. They raise it 500rpm over stock at 70. 3.73's raise it by 300. Figured I might as well go for the gear.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anything higher than 3.73 is not happening for me! This car is driven every day in the summer and its a 12 mile highway cruise so 4.10+ are too high. For my old 5.0 I had a auburn limited slip and I really liked it. I would go back with that i think. Too many things to do and not enough money to do it. lol

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
texasbullitt said:
if i changed gears it would be to 3:73's

Mark...ya got a extra grand laying around...thats about the price:wife:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts