Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just registered today on the site. I've been visiting the site often and really enjoy reading what everyone has to say, whether it's about taking an LS1 on the drag strip or shop talk. I purchased #4083 back in july and simply have had too many problems to list and bore everyone with. The biggest problem is that I love the car too much and it pains me to have all of these problems. I've been dealing with trany problems from the getgo (which by the way has already been replaced)and also with just about every other
problem that has been mentioned on the website with the exception of paint flaws. To say the least I'm starting to get quite frustrated - not to mention heart broken.
I traded in my black '96 convertable GT for my Bullitt and I am starting to wonder if I did the right thing. If anyone has info about what ford is doing about the many problems a lot of us share please keep me informed.
And what's this about a TSB involving a computer upgrade? I just recently read a posting that mentioned it.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I'm not positive, but your number appears to be late enough that you should not have to worry with it.

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
Bullitt/gg, welcome aboard!
Sorry to hear about all the Bullitt
problems. If by chance your shock
tower hologram is damaged, we just had
a fellow Bullitthead post that the
dealer has his hologram ready for
installation.
I feel lucky that there is not one thing
wrong with my Bullitt. (yet)

·
Registered
216 Posts
PY,

Are all dealers honoring replacing the hologram on the shock tower if the present one is damaged?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Bullitt/gg,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm suprised oyu didn't have that many with your 96. I had a 96 and it had its fair share of problems. You have to admit the Bullitt is much more fun thatn the old 96. You shouls list your issues here. It helps others who might be having the same problems it also helps you if they have resovled some of the problems.

SF Bull,

Go to the regional information section and reply to the post about Bay area Bullit meet. We are thinking aobut geting together on your home turf. There are several of us interested and we want to get pictures of all of the Bullitts in key SF locations. You would be the perfect person to research locations. The one where you took your picture look great.

Eric

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello Bullitt/gg. You did the right thing getting a Bullitt. Hopefully the problems will be fixed soon and you will enjoy the car as it should be enjoyed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I say keep the car if you dont want i will buy it ... add it o my collection ....LOL
1989 LX 5.0
1989 LX 5.0
2001 GT Mineral Grey
2816 Black Bullitt

·
Registered
630 Posts
Welcome to the club! Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. I am one of the lucky ones who have had a few minor problems. Hope you get them setteled so you can enjoy your car and not stress over it.
Good Luck #797

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BB00797 on 2002-01-14 07:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys. Since I posted my original message, I got the bullitt back from the shop once again. I'm definetly happier with the car than when I dropped it off but the dealer is claiming that certain problems I am having are simply characteristics of the car and cannot be fixed. Just to fill you guys in on what exactly my bullitt's problems are (since you asked)I've listed the major one's below.

*1-2 shift silent grind (especially when cold)Its not as bad with the new trans but is still there
*ticking behind speedo (occurs randomly)
*brakes squeal like mad
*driver seat had play in the seat track and would slide forward and back (annoying!)
*head light lenses were replaced-cloudy
*driver seat cover replaced (was repaired because someone had punctured it before I took delivery and the repair job was awful
*doesn't re-start right away after I've been driving it for a bit (if I were to go out for a bite to eat-it won't start right away when i get back in to head home) it always eventually starts but it's just not right

The car still has the ticking, 1-2 grind, squealing brakes, and still has difficulty starting once hot (not always though)

The 1-2 grind and squealing brakes are supposed characteristics of the car.

Should I try and live with these quirks or be persistant about these things being repaired?

·
Registered
694 Posts
If it was me, I would keep pressing the dealer to fix or at least look into the problems on your behalf. It is your responsibility to keep the car in good shape and not abuse it. However, it is Ford's responsibility to fix any problems with a new car they sold. If you have kept up your side then why shouldn't they. Just my opinion.
BTW, I have had very few problems with my Bullitt but they would hear from me if I encountered problems like some of the ones I have read about.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The hot start prob is easy enough to "fix." When you get back in the car, turn the ignition to "on" for about 3 seconds before you crank the car over. The fuel pump has to repressurize the lines.

Seat tracks, tranny, speedo (always there or just after tranny replacement?) are all issues the dealer NEEDS to work out for you. I know it sucks to go without your car for several days, but at least it might get fixed, else they'll get it back again!!!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,119 Posts
bullitt/gg: A lot of us are learning to deal with the squeeling brake syndrome. I am hoping that is just "goes away" with more mileage, or when we actually will need new brakes. And the turning the ignition to start for 3 seconds works as I had the same problem starting Bullette up after going back out to leave a store.

·
Registered
610 Posts
GG , There is a lot of good info in the mech section, a lot of us have gone to Redline Tranny fluid. My own experience with it has shown improvement in the cold grind and smoother shifting but it does not eliminate the problem. The consensus on this is your going to have to "Live with it".

·
Registered
202 Posts
I thought I was the only one with problems with my Bullitt! This forum is like an A.A. meeting, you find out you really aren't the only one. Anyway, I have the startup problem too, only hte car will "catch" but never quite hit on all cylinders and then die and act like it's flooded. (which I think it is) After a few minutes of sitting it will start up and act quite naturally. I attributed it to "bad gas" even though it has been Shell 87 octane. Glad to hear about the 3 second trick, I will try it. I also had problems with the car when I first got it. Like the windshield was not installed correctly and I could push on it on the driver side and it would lift right out of the frame! Also the lumbar support would not stay inflated and the cruise control was completely inoperable and I had a really nasty squeak in the right (passenger) rear side. The guys at the service department were really great though and everything seems to be OK now. I hope that is the extent of it but there is a little gring from first to second which I am now aware of. You know what? The car is so absolutely beautiful that I don't mind the bumps. Truly, it is "civilized muscle"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hadn,t had no problems with mine,except cant quit driving it ever where.I traded my 95gt convertable for mine,wait a monnent i do have a brake squeak in right front.you get it fix and keep it! good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
The brake squeak is possibly caused by overspray of a fluid during assembly. Mine had the same problem, and my dealer took care of it. No more squeaks! ( I think that he replaced the pads)

·
Registered
81 Posts
What a shame to spend that much money and have so many problems.Check your build sheet, if it was built on a friday the dude that put your car together probably smoked his lunch that day.With all the problems yours has i would say he smoked his breakfast too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am feeling pretty lucky so far!
I have over 10,000 miles on the Bullitt and no major issues. I still do not like the tranny. Mu problen is not the 1-2 shift but the klunks that come out of the drivetrain (tranny) when acclerating. I am getting used to it but I would like to know if anyone else has the problem. i have heard several people talk about gettng thier trannys replaced - what was the issue and what did you have to do to get a new one.

I have heard through the grapevine that the Cobra that is in the works will get the 6-speed tranny that the F-bodies were using. Bout stinking time! How about a discount on the upgrade since we had to put up with these crapbox trannies.

The CatSmasher

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-02-10 20:40, 1 Bullitt wrote:
What a shame to spend that much money and have so many problems.Check your build sheet, if it was built on a friday the dude that put your car together probably smoked his lunch that day.With all the problems yours has i would say he smoked his breakfast too.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am laughing at your presentation, not the
fact that Bullittheads have mechanical prob-
lems...I wouldn't wish that on any Bullitt-
head. :smile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts