Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some 67,000 or so miles on #801 and I'm aware Ford had some "inferior part" problems especially in the bearing dept. being I had to replace ALL the bearings in the rear end at some 35,000 miles. Now granted I'm not the easiest driver however I do believe bearings SHOULD last a bit longer than that. Now I'm experiencing some throughout bearing problems (squeals like a beeyotch) however the clutch is rock solid at the moment.

Needless to say the tranny must be pulled to correct the problem before she leaves me walkin'. My question to all the gear heads in the know is: the fact I've gotten almost 70,000 miles out of the clutch I don't really see the reason to go big with the clutch as I don't feel I'm running enough hp for that step. I'm just looking for some good, solid bearings to put back in the tranny. I'm actually impressed the clutch has held up this long.

Is there some hip, happening bearings someone can recommend I stick in here while she's apart? I just don't want to have to pull the trans again for bearings. I have no plans to bump up the hp as she's just where I like her!

Thanks for your help. Please inquire only if you've used / using them, not heard about them as that could get expensive!

Is the aftermarket Ford bearings any better than stock? I have a hook up at Ford is why I ask.

Cheers,

·
Registered
221 Posts
ive always used the Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch and their throwout bearing and have had great luck with it.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
I have just put a Factory standard clutch in mine for the very same reason.
For you to get nearly 70,000 miles out of it, means it isn't too bad
and my new one is light as anything.
I don't need a heavier pedal?

I put a new clutch, pressure plate and both bearings.
It is really light sweet and positive.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I've got a little over 50k, and probably 250+ runs down the drag strip. The clutch is still original. Unless I add a whole lot more power down the road, I think I'll be going back with the OEM.

On the issue of the bearings, in particual your mention of the bearings in the read end...I have different thoughts on why they suck lately.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
8.8 Ford rear debuts in the early 1980's. They prove to be pretty tough. I've seen gear swaps done on them with 100k miles, and the stock carrier bearings are reused. Hearing someone talking about bearing failures in 8.8's until around MY2000 was rare. All of a sudden, if you have one that has more than 40k miles it's not uncommon to have had a bearing or two go bad back there.

They came loaded with 75w-90 or 80w-90 conventional gear oil for years. Then they started filling them with 75w-140 synthectic...and bearings started failing. Just my opinion. I know I dumped it and have no intention of putting it back. No bearing failures since, knock on wood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts