Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went ahead and got a set of 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials. I had thought about putting them on my Bullitt wheels, but have decided to go ahead and order a couple wheels for them. What would you go with? I know JB Vobra used the 17x9 Cobra R's and that was what I had intended to use. But they will likely see quite a bit of street use and I would really prefer matching wheels on the car. It's too bad the don't have a Bullitt wheel in a 17x9 :smile:

If they are not gonna work properly on the 17x8 wheel, I will have to go with something else.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The 275/40 17's will fit your stock rims. I have them on mine.

·
Registered
223 Posts

You could always buy 2 extra bullit rims for the drag radials. should only cost around $130 each.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have also been thinking about using drag radials or Mickey Thompson street slicks. I think the drag radials could be used every day, while the M/T tires would only be used to/from the drag strip. Here's what I have been debating:

1) Nitto 275/40/R17 drag radials. These are my first choice, but Nitto recommends a 9" - 11" wide rim. I don't feel comfortable using these tires on the stock rims, especially at low tire pressures. I would either get some factory wheels and have them widened, or get some wider aftermarket "torque thrust" type wheels and have them painted to match the factory wheels. Either way its going to cost too much money :sad:.

2) Nitto 245/45/R17 drag radials on the stock wheels. This would be a cheap way to go, but I don't know how much better traction will be over the stock tires. Plus these tires are not any wider than stock. I like the look of the 275/40/R17 tires better.

3) Use Mickey Thompson ET slicks or Sportsman Pro tires on 16" torque thrust type wheels. Again, I would paint the wheels to match the factory wheels. I think the 16' wheels would clear the rear brakes, does anyone know for sure? This would be a cheaper route and provide better traction, but I would not use this for every day driving.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Randy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McQ Stang on 2001-09-06 14:34 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I would rather have a little bigger tire for looks, but my primary reason for purchase is to get a little more bite at the track. If I need to go for 9" or 10" wheels to get them to work properly, I will.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-09-06 14:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good call 01GTB. I read an article once about putting bigger tires onto stock wheels. They compared the mustang tires: 245/45-17 to the 275/40-17 on the stock mustang wheel. Because of how the 275s have to squat the sidewall to fit into the narrower rims, they actually performed a little worse than the 245s. I forget what mag it was. It was about a year ago though.

So unless you get larger wheels, you won't see any gains.

·
Registered
393 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-21 00:57, Gibscreen wrote:
Good call 01GTB. I read an article once about putting bigger tires onto stock wheels. They compared the mustang tires: 245/45-17 to the 275/40-17 on the stock mustang wheel. Because of how the 275s have to squat the sidewall to fit into the narrower rims, they actually performed a little worse than the 245s. I forget what mag it was. It was about a year ago though.

So unless you get larger wheels, you won't see any gains.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

this is wrong. I have plenty of drag racing buds that have mounted 275/40 Nitto 555R DR's on stock 99-01 GT rims with great success. And I'll tell you why they work: The Nitto 275/40's, for whatever reason, are extremely narrow for that size rating. They don't look like standard 275/40's.

These guys will pull mid to low 1.9 60fts pretty regulary NA. One guy with a 00 GT, 100 shot of spray, 275/40 nittos on stock rims and basically nothing else ran 12.3 at 111 with a 1.84 60ft. That wouldn't have happened on ANY brand of street tire.

This is THE best bang for buck mod that I can think of (if you're looking to improve straight-line perf). You can get a set for around $320 mounted on the stock rims and probably knock .3-.5 off your ET's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts